Another severe issue or bug with Libre Office Calc

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Another severe issue or bug with Libre Office Calc

Post by Menard »

Hello

Concerned, version 6.4.7.2 for Linux

When you reach the columns limitation, you lose the last columns and with no warning, so your back up is useless
It is only one of the many ways this application made me lose some important data since I began with it around 2018, after MS Excel 2000

I ve just discover that one file I had, lost some cells in the last sheets, only the end ... I don't know what, perhaps the same sort of issue, based on a limitation in weight, I must try to find an old backup when these data were still here ... because it took time probably before i discover the issue and I regularly saved the broken file adding data on the last sheet :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon - K 5.15 - Desktop - english
AMD APU A8 7600 - DDR3 1833 MHz 8 GB x2 Dual Channel
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Another severe issue or bug with Libre Office Calc

Post by xenopeek »

I wouldn't know how to help with recovery. I guess if you don't make incremental backups of your important files you may have to redo the work. Stating the obvious but double-check you didn't accidentally hide any columns?

Perhaps there is some rare bug in the version you have that can lead to what you describe. I took a quick look but couldn't spot any such for LibreOffice.

You might consider switching to use the LibreOffice version from the LibreOffice developers instead of the one from the repository, which is older and doesn't get as frequent updates. You can add the LibreOffice Fresh PPA https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+arc ... fice-still to your system to get the current stable version of LibreOffice. That will also update your LibreOffice with every new stable release through Update Manager. Or LibreOffice Still PPA https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+arc ... fice-still which is slightly slower with updates and new releases (so gets newer features slower) and is recommended for workplace use. It's still newer that the version from the repository and gets updates more frequently. At least then if you have such an issue again you can tap the LibreOffice community also for troubleshooting the issue and if it proves to be a bug report it to the developers.. The 6.4 branch is no longer supported by LibreOffice so I'd suspect they would respond to upgrade to a supported version first.

I use Calc daily. Don't do very complex stuff with it — mostly sumproduct formulas and conditional formatting and the occasional pivot table or chart — but most sheets have more columns than fit on the screen. Luckily haven't run into this issue. I use the LibreOffice Still version.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

Calc - The Document Foundation Wiki
The maximum number of columns is 1,024 (from column A to column AMJ);
the maximum number of rows is 1,048,576 (220);
the maximum number of cells in one sheet is 1,073,741,824 (230 which is more than 1 billion cells)
-=t42=-
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

Some years ago the had an issue that lead to save buggy files that were not readable, it was described precisely somewhere on the net, they fixed it but absolutely never were worried about to restore, repare these lost files or to save data in it ... though it was their fault ... I still got one of these files with forever ? lost data in it and according the diagnostic made by common xml readers as internet browsers, the error is given precisely at one item with line x character y in the xml file ... I ve lost the page but it was complicated to restore it and they could have developped a simple tool for this :(
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

When you reach the columns limitation, you lose the last columns and with no warning
Are you importing the data? Is that how you have more than 1024 columns? I would expect a warning for that.
Last edited by mikeflan on Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

mikeflan wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:28 pm
When you reach the columns limitation, you lose the last columns and with no warning
Are you importing the data? Is that how you have more than 1024 columns? It would expect a warning for that.
1- No
2 - I got 569 lines and around 256 columns when it happens

Sorry for the delay but after posting a thread about an issue I must deal with other issues, sometimes more severe
--

mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I got 569 lines and around 256 columns when it happens
No problem. Take your time.

So we are saying that Libre Calc shows 1024 columns (at least for me), but when you reach 256 columns it starts deleting the columns to the far right, instead of placing them in the remaining 768 columns? Any chance you have the 32 bit application installed? I think mine is 64 bit:

Code: Select all

Version: 7.1.3.2 / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 47f78053abe362b9384784d31a6e56f8511eb1c1
CPU threads: 8; OS: Linux 5.4; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Flatpak
Calc: threaded
I have a spreadsheet with 70 columns, but I'm not sure I have any more than that in any spreadsheet I use.

Return to “Software & Applications”