No more satellite view on Gnome Maps 40.1?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
newlyminted7
Level 5
Level 5

No more satellite view on Gnome Maps 40.1?

Post by newlyminted7 »

I opened Gnome Maps today (40.1 / Flatpak version) and noticed there is no longer a satellite map layer. And it appears to have changed from using MapBox to the less useful OpenStreetMap?

Did I do something to mess things up or was this (crippling of Gnome Maps) intentional?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: No more satellite view on Gnome Maps 40.1?

Post by xenopeek »

The reason is explained in this issue: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-maps/-/issues/381. In short the mapbox tiles for satellite view are too expensive. GNOME Maps doesn't generate any direct income so how should they pay for it.
newlyminted7
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newlyminted7 »

Thanks for the link, Xenopeek. How utterly disappointing.

You'd think Gnome sales-ish people would be able to strike a deal with MapBox and get a discount of some kind. Even if it just includes basic feaures, without geocoding, just to get the simplest form of satellite tiles? We don't need "max zoom levels", just a basic, functioning satellite view - you'd think MapBox would be willing to discuss that, wouldn't you?

Or at least look into an alternative (https://geoawesomeness.com/google-maps- ... ffordable/)?
pixel24
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pixel24 »

xenopeek wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:19 am The reason is explained in this issue: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-maps/-/issues/381. In short the mapbox tiles for satellite view are too expensive. GNOME Maps doesn't generate any direct income so how should they pay for it.
Does anyone have an account there? I don't use Gnome, so it makes little sense for me to create one.

Then someone there could give the hint that in the programme "QMapShack" the satellite view is integrated online via a simple file.

QMapShack is an open source programme that I use for planning my trekking tours.

Maybe it would help the guys from Gnome Maps to ask the developer of QMS. Unfortunately, I cannot judge it.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

Why don't you use Google Earth instead ?
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon - K 5.15 - Desktop - english
AMD APU A8 7600 - DDR3 1833 MHz 8 GB x2 Dual Channel
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.
pixel24
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pixel24 »

Menard wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:32 am Why don't you use Google Earth instead ?
That is not an option for me. I am planning a route and want to be able to switch to satellite briefly during the planning.

Starting another programme and searching for the corresponding section would be less optimal.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I have tried all the others, and always go back to maps.google.com

At any point on a trip route, I can zoom in and switch to Satellite view and fine tune the ViaPoint

I only use Cinnamon, all of the other desktops are not acceptable to me.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Software & Applications”