Chromium's Pop Up Videos

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ragz

Chromium's Pop Up Videos

Post by Ragz »

Using Google's Chromium on a certain website the broadcast of this Station is live on Chromium. Becomes old fast when I must mute the video several times per day. Looking into Linux Mint's Package Manager there is a pop up video blocker available but it is from GOOGLE which we all know the amount of personal data is scooped up by anything Google. Seems an oxymoron that Linux Mint which prides itself on privacy would allow such packages to be available for download and installation.

What are we to do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LanceM

Re: Chromium's Pop Up Videos

Post by LanceM »

Adguard. Add it it to your browser. Do you know how to add extensions?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

If it's an actual popup the browser extension PopUpOFF should take care of it. It's available also for Chromium.
Link: https://romanisthere.github.io/PopUpOFF ... index.html
Ragz

Post by Ragz »

xenopeek wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:54 pm If it's an actual popup the browser extension PopUpOFF should take care of it. It's available also for Chromium.
Actually I am not sure if it is an actual popup. Do these websites have permanent embedded small video live feeds from their cable broadcasts?
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

I use Chromium a lot, and no video playing like you. How can I reproduce your issue?
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

I don't know that it's related to this issue, but just a reminder that support for Mint 18.3 ended April 2021.
Ragz

Post by Ragz »

sleeper12 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:06 pm I don't know that it's related to this issue, but just a reminder that support for Mint 18.3 ended April 2021.
Hello Sleeper12. Thanks for your input. Though 18.3 has expired the issue was not related to that. Prior to the expiration the issue was ongoing. But I installed 20.1 last night onto my laptop. Thanks for the inspiration!
Ragz

Post by Ragz »

Ragz wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:25 pm
xenopeek wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:54 pm If it's an actual popup the browser extension PopUpOFF should take care of it. It's available also for Chromium.
Actually I am not sure if it is an actual popup. Do these websites have permanent embedded small video live feeds from their cable broadcasts?
Yes. That is what they are. There is nothing one can do about that correct? Eats up lots of data.

Return to “Software & Applications”