Firefox hanging after update

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jonus
Level 1
Level 1

Firefox hanging after update

Post by Jonus »

There were a few updates hanging around this morning, including Firefox.. (which seems to be undergoing some structural changes?), and now the browser is periodically freezing for a while, before springing back to life. The mouse will move, but nothing happens. The system is otherwise fine.

Has anyone else seen this problem, or have any idea how to identify what is happening, or why, or how to cure it? The Mozilla feedback screen has been taken down!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Firefox hanging after update

Post by gittiest personITW »

Welcome to the forums.

Can you try disabling all your addons/extensions and see if FF still freezes.
If it is ok, then enable one at a time.

It would, in general, be a good idea to update the extensions manually also.

Post back with the result.

Also, it might be worth following number 5 in the following link in your reply as it would give us some idea of your hardware.....
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83444
vjayer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vjayer »

Hi, I posted some workaround that worked for me here, gotten from reddit with the same issues:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=350900&p=2026786#p2026786

it may consume more cpu after these changes but it seems to solve the stability issues for me so far

Update: sadly, not really. I've still found ways to get it to hang like before. Open amazon, youtube, etc links all at once and start switching between them as they load will reproduce the hang
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Jonus. Hello, Vjayer.

Maybe some of your technical troubles with the recent Firefox 89.0 have been fixed by Mozilla in Firefox 89.0.1.
See the Firefox release notes, please: Firefox 89.0.1 Release Notes.
Mozilla fixed a number of bugs, some of which affected Linux systems explicitly.

Regards,
Karl
--

Code: Select all

karl@unimatrix0:~
$ firefox --version
Mozilla Firefox 89.0.1
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Qurcus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Qurcus »

I had problems with YouTube freezing since they updated it to 89. I found that clearing 'History' 'Time range' "everything" excluding "site preferences" will correct the freeze. I don't know why because i never had this problem before but it works for me.

Return to “Software & Applications”