Gnome 40. Update Manager not working

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wibbly
Level 1
Level 1

Gnome 40. Update Manager not working

Post by wibbly »

Dell Latitude i7
Linuxmint latest version, all updates installed.
New install Gnome 40

I have been running Mint for years, with the Cinnamon desktop, and no problems. I decided to try Gnome 40.
The Update Manager will occasionally display updates, but it will not install anything.
I have tried removing it and reinstalling it but it refuses to play ball.

Update Manager still works fine in Cinnamon?
I can do updates via the terminal in Gnome 40.

No broken packages.
Sources seem to be fine.

Does anyone know what could be causing the conflict? It appears to be due to Gnome, so all the usual reinstall paths to resolve it are like trying to repaint a new wall. Update Manager is there and in Cinnamon it works fine.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linuxmint 64bit version Always the latest version
Intel i5 4690k @ 3.50Ghz x 4
Ram 8GB
WD Black 1TB
GEForce GT460SE 1GB
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Gnome 40. Update Manager not working

Post by Moonstone Man »

wibbly wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:29 am ... all the usual reinstall paths to resolve it are like trying to repaint a new wall...
Well, if you don't want to take the only option to fix the mess you created, I'm afraid you get to live with it.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Gnome 40. Update Manager not working

Post by spamegg »

Changing the desktop environment is not as simple as removing a package and installing another package. The DE is tightly integrated into a lot of the functionality of the OS. Normally you should not try to replace the Desktop Environment of your Mint. It will create a big mess and a broken system that is (at best) half-working, sometimes, unpredictably.

If you want Gnome maybe go with the plain vanilla Ubuntu.

Return to “Software & Applications”