Dark photos {SOLVED}

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
grimtraveller
Level 1
Level 1

Dark photos {SOLVED}

Post by grimtraveller »

I have a strange problem here. I re~installed Linux Mint 20 yesterday and have added all the files I have backed up. But for some reason, all my photos come out dark. This has never been an issue before. When I look at them as thumbnails, they are perfectly normal. When I use one of them as my wallpaper, it is perfectly normal. But when I open any of them, they are all dark.
Anyone ever had anything like this happen to them before and does anyone have any idea of how to correct this ? I've already deleted and re~installed the photo folder.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Dark photos

Post by Mick-Cork »

grimtraveller wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:21 pm I have a strange problem here. I re~installed Linux Mint 20 yesterday and have added all the files I have backed up. But for some reason, all my photos come out dark. This has never been an issue before. When I look at them as thumbnails, they are perfectly normal. When I use one of them as my wallpaper, it is perfectly normal. But when I open any of them, they are all dark.
Anyone ever had anything like this happen to them before and does anyone have any idea of how to correct this ? I've already deleted and re~installed the photo folder.
I'm wondering if it's a similar problem to the one here: viewtopic.php?p=1963147#p1963147
grimtraveller
Level 1
Level 1

Post by grimtraveller »

I had a look at the thread and went into the settings and colour profile. No matter which profile I clicked on, the "Set for all users" button was disabled so I couldn't do anything. :cry: Just out of curiosity, I clicked the blue profile and everything went light blue ! I returned to how it was before and on a whim had a quick look at the photos and they're all back to normal ! :?: I don't know what I did to get it back to normal but thanks to Mick-Cork for suggesting the thread. I don't know how it helped....but it did ! :idea:
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

grimtraveller wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:33 am ...
Just out of curiosity, I clicked the blue profile and everything went light blue !
There I would also be curious where there is a blue profile. Can you please give more details about the desktop used and where you found the blue profile setting?

I would like to recreate the behavior. In particular, I would like to make sure if this darkening of the images is caused by an accidental keyboard shortcut.
grimtraveller
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Dark photos {SOLVED}

Post by grimtraveller »

My desktop is a Dell Optiplex, Intel© Core™ i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz × 4 and running Linux Mint 20, Cinnamon.
If you go to "Settings" and click on "All applications" and then click on "Colour" then click on "Add profile" a list comes up of various profiles. "Test profile: Blue" is one of those profiles on the list.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Dark photos {SOLVED}

Post by absque fenestris »

grimtraveller wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:54 pm My desktop is a Dell Optiplex, Intel© Core™ i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz × 4 and running Linux Mint 20, Cinnamon.
If you go to "Settings" and click on "All applications" and then click on "Colour" then click on "Add profile" a list comes up of various profiles. "Test profile: Blue" is one of those profiles on the list.

Thank you for your information.
So, I was a bit busy with the "Color" settings and all the ICC profiles on offer - including the weird test profiles.
And also some searching in Windows 10: I was looking for my, well - Windows "calibrated" sRGB monitor ICC profile, finally found it and have now loaded it into my virtual LMDE 4.

Previously, the Artifex sRGB profile was loaded for the monitor and the Artifex CMYK profile for the color printer.
Artifex ... ... why? Refreshing memories via the Internet - Artifex is the creator of Ghostscript and their CMYK Postscript profile works well with my color laser.

But all the other profiles? The agony of choice...

Return to “Software & Applications”