Installing firebird - example database employee.fdb missing?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lucky67
Level 1
Level 1

Installing firebird - example database employee.fdb missing?

Post by lucky67 »

I am trying to install Firebird on Linux Mint cinnamon 20.1 using the software manager. Have never used Firebird on its own before (use embedded firebird in LO Base) and new to Linux. Plan is to try and use Flamerobin. Proving to be a steep learning curve.
(Before installing it asked me for a password - so I put in my Linux user (sudo) password...not realising it was asking me to enter a password for firebird system admin instead of the default. After much messing about with passwords etc I decided to completely uninstall firebird and try again - but using uninstall from the software manager didn't delete the password files. I had to use synaptic package manager to do that)
On reinstall I put in the default Firebird password (and realised my previous mistake) but apparently I now need to change the default password for security. And to do that I need to open the example file 'employee.fdb' - I don't seem to have that as part of the package from the software manager - I have a file 'employee.sql' which I don't think is what I am looking for?
Doing a web search I can find something about the file missing from the windows install and someone else asking about something similar to this -who didn't get a reply.
Does anyone know if the file is missing from the software manager download?
Where can I find out definitively if that is the case?
Is there any point me trying to install from the .tar.gz folder instead? (I know from Ask LO I need to get Firebird 3.0 version not the updated 4.0 as LO uses 3.0 and I need them to be compatible)
My other option is to completely uninstall firebird again and put in a different password on installation but think I might need employee.fdb to do the next bit of setting up a firebird user...(am slightly confused now!)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Installing firebird - example database employee.fdb missing?

Post by mikeflan »

Welcome to the forum.
Plan is to try and use Flamerobin.
Flamerobin only has one review in Software Manager, and it is middling, and not in English.
using uninstall from the software manager didn't delete the password files.
Maybe a /home/YOU/.firebird directory should have been deleted also?
And to do that I need to open the example file 'employee.fdb' - I don't seem to have that as part of the package from the software manager - I have a file 'employee.sql' which I don't think is what I am looking for? Doing a web search I can find something about the file missing from the windows install and someone else asking about something similar to this -who didn't get a reply.
Does anyone know if the file is missing from the software manager download?

Sorry, but I have not used Flamerobin. So can't help you much there.
Where can I find out definitively if that is the case?
I'll bet this mailing list is not too active:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/flamer ... obin-devel
Is there any point me trying to install from the .tar.gz folder instead?
Actually that might work out better. But take a Timeshift snapshot before installing it - just in case.
Dave Albiston
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Installing firebird - example database employee.fdb missing?

Post by Dave Albiston »

Hi there

You don't need to have a copy of the Employee database. What FlameRobin is looking for is a database registered with the SYSDBA password. If you create a database as SYSDBA then you will gain access to user management to change the password.

Sadly, the developers of FlameRobin have moved on to other things. It is still streets ahead of the expensive commercial management tools but doesn't support some of the changes in Firebird v3.0.

Of course, you could always use the ISQL command line utility :D

Return to “Software & Applications”