[solved] Libre Office Writer typing problem

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
redx87

[solved] Libre Office Writer typing problem

Post by redx87 »

Hi,

In a Libre Office document I use the dash key on my keyboard to place a line under a sentence to define the end of a section of text, and when I hit 'Enter' the dashed line turns to a solid line. A solid line is what I want, so all ok so far.

BUT, if I want to add more text further down, I place the cursor at the end of the sentence and press ‘Enter’, and it immediately creates another line instead of moving the first line down the page. It’s as if the line is locked to the sentence and is reproduced each time I hit ‘Enter’.

As you can see in the image below I hit ‘Enter’ 4 times and another 4 lines were created
How can I stop this from happening please?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Libre Office Writer typing problem

Post by mikeflan »

In a Libre Office document I use the dash key on my keyboard to place a line under a sentence to define the end of a section of text, and when I hit 'Enter' the dashed line turns to a solid line.
That is interesting. I would expect that to happen, but it does not on my version 7.1.3.2. Not with dash and not with underbar. I'm glad it doesn't happen, because I would rather do Insert - Horizontal to add that line. What version are you using?
redx87

Post by redx87 »

Thanks for the reply.

I'm using Libre Office version 6.0.7.3, the default version in Mint 19.01. I might try to upgrade to a later version of the program.

Thanks
redx87

Post by redx87 »

I just now upgraded successfully to version 7.1.4.2, but the line problem still exists.

Edit: I'll mark this thread as solved. I decided to get out of the habit of using the dash key to make a line. I'll use the line tool instead. It's a bit slower, but it seems to behave better.

Return to “Software & Applications”