Possible to view contents of appimages?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Imagus
Level 3
Level 3

Possible to view contents of appimages?

Post by Imagus »

I am learning to make appimages (haven't got much success yet) and was wondering if it was possible to open some appimages that I downloaded to see what's inside and "how they did it". For me that would be a great way to learn and help me understand what I may be doing wrong in my own attempts at making an appimage.

Is there a program that will allow me to open appimages? I tried archive manager, but that doesn't recogize the appimage format. Also haven't had much luck finding something online.

Thanks for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Possible to view contents of appimages?

Post by Larry78723 »

Here's a YouTube on building AppImages: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy63jwj ... DistroTube
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

You can extract the contents of am AppImage from the command line using the --appimage-extract switch. I suggest creating an empty directory and copying the AppImage to it, that way the extracted directory structure is in its own directory. But that is not required.

Open a terminal, navigate to the location of the AppImage, and (if the name of the AppImage is your.AppImage) for enter. The ./ is important.

Code: Select all

./your.AppImage --appimage-extract
The --appimage-extract switch is a handy way to retrieve icon that is embedded in the AppImage.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Imagus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Imagus »

Larry78723 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:37 pm Here's a YouTube on building AppImages: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy63jwj ... DistroTube
I have watched that video a few times, but he only makes an appimage from a single binary, not one with dependencies. Still it's a good video to start.
Imagus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Imagus »

BenTrabetere wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:13 pm You can extract the contents of am AppImage from the command line using the --appimage-extract switch. I suggest creating an empty directory and copying the AppImage to it, that way the extracted directory structure is in its own directory. But that is not required.

Open a terminal, navigate to the location of the AppImage, and (if the name of the AppImage is your.AppImage) for enter. The ./ is important.

./your.AppImage --appimage-extract
The --appimage-extract switch is a handy way to retrieve icon that is embedded in the AppImage.
Thank you, this is helpful. I have tried it on a few appimages and noticed that it works in different ways. The appimage of LibreOffice bluntly tells me "Permission denied", another appimage extracted everything in a folder squashfs-root and placed it in the current folder, and another one extracted itself in /tmp and disappeared as soon as I closed the program.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Imagus wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:57 am The appimage of LibreOffice bluntly tells me "Permission denied"
Most of the time when you get this error it is because the AppImage is not executable. I was able to extract the LO AppImage - make it executable and try again. Which one extracted to /tmp ... and was it integrated to the desktop?
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Imagus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Imagus »

BenTrabetere wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:44 am Most of the time when you get this error it is because the AppImage is not executable. I was able to extract the LO AppImage - make it executable and try again. Which one extracted to /tmp ... and was it integrated to the desktop?
Ok, my bad... LibreOffice did indeed extract fine after making it executable. The one that extracts to tmp is Avidemux. When I entered

./avidemux_2.7.4.appImage --appimage-extract
in the terminal, it extracted to /tmp/.mount_5B7SU9 (random string) and then it launched the program. When I closed the program the directory was deleted immediately.

I'm sure I'll learn a lot by going through the extracted appimages; it is still not clear how I can tell which dependencies a program needs and where to put them in the image.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

This isn't somethuing I've done but it seems to me a good place to start would be to take a program on your system you want to use for this and enter "apt-cache show <app name>".

Among other things you' should see a list of dependencies for that r, with specified ranges of versions for those dependencies. Sometimes it specifies just one version release though I wouldn't think that was a good sign. This is all done by the program dev(s)/package maintainers.

At least it should give you some idea of why many .deb files and ppa sources fail to install for your Mint release.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Software & Applications”