Gmail as Default Mail Reader

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bayvista170
Level 1
Level 1

Gmail as Default Mail Reader

Post by Bayvista170 »

How do I do this in Linux Mint Cinnamon? When I select 'Preferred Applications' I can select Thunderbird Mail (tried this and don't like) or 'Other Application'. Gmail is not on the list.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Gmail as Default Mail Reader

Post by Schultz »

Because Gmail isn't an app that you install on your computer like Thunderbird is, that's why.
pak
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Gmail as Default Mail Reader - Resolved

Post by pak »

Hello
I cant find anywhere to post this (probably very stupid newbie question)

I've just switched from Windows to Linux Mint and have been opening Gnome Gmail application, in order to access my gMail accounts. This works

However I have a number of gmail accounts and used to have them set up so that every time I opened gMail, a separate tab would open and update for each gMail account, as well as my gMail calendar, gMail contacts address book and three or four other websites that I check daily

My question is whether it is possible to set gnome gMail up so that every time it opens, it reopens and refreshes the tabs that were open when it was closed down at the end of the previous session?

I hope that this makes sense and if this is possible, you can point me in the direction of the instructions I need to follow to achieve it

Many thanks
Last edited by pak on Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I am told that Gnome-gmail doesn't do anything for you that your browser doesn't already do, except that it allows you to select Gnome-gmail in 'Preferred Applications'. If that is the case, just do what you want in your browser.
pak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pak »

Yep

Thanks Mikeflan

I was making life too difficult

All you need do (this is embarrassing) is
select 'Preferences' > 'general' from the menu (four horizontal lines icon top right of your browser window - I seem to have Mozilla Firefox for my Gnome Gmail)
then tick (check in American) the 'Restore Previous Session' box under the 'Start Up' section

All good, everything I want to do on my lap top now sorted on Linux Mint instead of msWindows in under a week

I really appreciate all the help I have got from the community to get me going (would have sorted myself out sooner, if I had realised there is a 'select all of your own posts' option in this forum!)

Return to “Software & Applications”