Nemo 5 Content Search in Mint 20.2 = index file or grep?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
newlyminted7
Level 5
Level 5

Nemo 5 Content Search in Mint 20.2 = index file or grep?

Post by newlyminted7 »

Does the "Nemo Content Search" feature in Nemo 5 in the upcoming Mint 20.2 release build and use an index file (like Zeitgeist, for example)? Or is it just using something like grep?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Nemo 5 Content Search in Mint 20.2 = index file or grep?

Post by xenopeek »

I'm not too familiar with the Nemo code but I think it is a custom search engine, going by the nemo-search-* files in https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/tree/ ... mo-private. I could figure out it uses standard system utilities as search helpers (defined in the directory /usr/share/nemo/search-helpers) to read text from binary files. A quick peek shows it can read text from images, music files, LibreOffice and MS Office files and from PDFs. Maybe the What's New section on the release announcement will detail it a bit more.
newlyminted7
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newlyminted7 »

Thanks, Xenopeek. I checked some announcements but didn't see any info specifically detailing this.

The github repo notes seem to suggest it doesn't build or use an index file to provide this Content Search functionality, but I can't tell for sure. I even asked in the Announcements section (viewtopic.php?p=2022477#p2022477), but I guess the devs don't reply there?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I meant wait for the What's New on the announcement of Linux Mint 20.2, that's not out yet :wink: As for developers answering questions everybody is focused on the beta. Next few weeks will be very busy with testing and triaging issues.
newlyminted7
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newlyminted7 »

Ok, thanks, that is understandable. Will keep an eye out for that announcement.

Return to “Software & Applications”