Severe issue with Nemo

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Severe issue with Nemo

Post by Menard »

Hi

When I select files using Shift following this process : ctrl+click shift+click then the selection is not based on the first selected file, but on the last selected file before it, so it may be 250 files before ... then I guess that I ve put to trash many files like this in the past when I began on Linux Mint in 2017 2018 so it is clear that nothing is never done against that awful behaviour :roll:
So now it complicates my life because when I do this I must verify by scrolling up, what was selected ... before to do anything else and if it failed I must unselect and proceed again
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon - K 5.15 - Desktop - english
AMD APU A8 7600 - DDR3 1833 MHz 8 GB x2 Dual Channel
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Severe issue with Nemo

Post by revmacian »

Menard wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:27 am Hi

When I select files using Shift following this process : ctrl+click shift+click then the selection is not based on the first selected file, but on the last selected file before it, so it may be 250 files before ... then I guess that I ve put to trash many files like this in the past when I began on Linux Mint in 2017 2018 so it is clear that nothing is never done against that awful behaviour :roll:
So now it complicates my life because when I do this I must verify by scrolling up, what was selected ... before to do anything else and if it failed I must unselect and proceed again
Yes, and this has been the default behavior for some time. It is much better to learn how the system works and amend your habits accordingly. Perhaps it is time for you to learn how to manage files via the terminal.. where you have much more control and power at your fingertips?

I have been using Linux distros for 20+ years.. it's much easier for a human to change than to expect a machine to change.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.
US Navy, NEC HM8404
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

revmacian wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:34 am [...] It is much better to learn how the system works and amend your habits accordingly. [...]
I think Steve Jobs would disagree with this...

P.S.: I did find some similar weird behaviour in Nemo... IMHO, Nemo file selection should follow common sense.
The future Linux Mint Forums is here.
Self-Appointed Benevolent Designer on Linux Mint Cinnamon.
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

sebastjava wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:34 pm
revmacian wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:34 am [...] It is much better to learn how the system works and amend your habits accordingly. [...]
I think Steve Jobs would disagree with this...

P.S.: I did find some similar weird behaviour in Nemo... IMHO, Nemo file selection should follow common sense.
1. I wasn't placed in this life to please Steve Jobs.. or anyone else for that matter. I know this might sound rude to some, but it is true if you think about it.

2. "Common sense" is subjective.. which is why I recommended learning how the system works and amending habits accordingly.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.
US Navy, NEC HM8404
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

Menard wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:27 am [...] When I select files using Shift following this process : ctrl+click shift+click then the selection is not based on the first selected file, but on the last selected file before it [...]
I agree there is some weird behaviour there. This would require further investigation. Please take a look in there: https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues

Search to see if there is already an open issue about this. If not, create one. It would be appreciated if you could give a precise step-by-step description. But, again, as i said, yes, i do confirm there is something weird there, something out of good common sense.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

sebastjava wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:54 pm
Menard wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:27 am [...] When I select files using Shift following this process : ctrl+click shift+click then the selection is not based on the first selected file, but on the last selected file before it [...]
I agree there is some weird behaviour there. This would require further investigation. Please take a look in there: https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues

Search to see if there is already an open issue about this. If not, create one. It would be appreciated if you could give a precise step-by-step description. But, again, as i said, yes, i do confirm there is something weird there, something out of good common sense.
I forgot to say that it is quite difficult to reproduce. It happens frequently though
Only a problem... Github : the 2 last times i ve tried to login It was not possible ...
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

Menard wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:12 pm [...]
I forgot to say that it is quite difficult to reproduce. [...]
I am investigating this right now. I think i can reproduce it systematically.

This behaviour is different depending on the view mode:
1. "good common sense" when in icon view
2. "strange" when in list view
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

Menard wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:12 pm [...] I forgot to say that it is quite difficult to reproduce. It happens frequently though [...]
Here. I hope i managed to give a precise and systematically reproducible description:

Code: Select all

```
 * Nemo version: 4.8.6
 * Issue with windowed nemo
 * Distribution: Mint 20.1
 * Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 2000 (SNB GT1) v: 3.3 Mesa 20.2.6
 * 64 bit
 ```

**Issue**
When selecting files in Nemo using Ctrl-click, and then Shift-click, the resulting selection is... strange. Counter-intuitive. Just a bit weird.

**Steps to reproduce**
1. Open some directory where you already have a bunch of files. For clearer descriptions, let's say we have files named 01, 02, 03, and 04.
2. View > select List View.
3. Select the 01 file, then Ctrl-click the 02, then  Ctrl-click the 03.
4. Shift-click the 04.
5. See? The resulting selection is: 02-03-04.

**Expected behaviour**
I would expect one of the followings:
1. Shift-click adds all files between the preceding or following Ctrl-clicked file, so, in this case, files 01-02-03-04 would be selected.
2. Shift-click forgets the previous Ctrl-clicks, so only files 03-04 are selected. That is how it works in the other view modes: Icon or Compact view...

**Actual behaviour**
Shift-click adds all files between the **second-last** Ctrl-clicked one. So, in this case, files 02-03-04 are selected... And this is different from the Icon or Compact view behaviours!

**Other information**
That is just one simple example. There are lots of other possible bigger and weirder combinations.
This is markdown language. You could just copy-paste this into GitHub. I would prefer if you could do this yourself, on your account, because... I have been bothering them a lot recently. :) But if you really can't get access to your account, then i will probably copy-paste this sometime later...
mikeflan
Level 16
Level 16

Post by mikeflan »

it is quite difficult to reproduce.
Not for me. It is very easy to reproduce. If another file in the directory is already selected, then ctrl+click shift+click always fails. If you change it to click shift+click then it always works.
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

I've never had a problem with this. I click on the first file (Not ctrl-click) scroll down to the last file and shift-click on it. All the files are then highlighted to act on. My way wouldn't work if Nemo was set to open files on a single click.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

Larry78723 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:20 pm I've never had a problem with this. I click on the first file (Not ctrl-click) scroll down to the last file and shift-click on it. All the files are then highlighted to act on. My way wouldn't work if Nemo was set to open files on a single click.
What?! You expect someone to change their habits and perhaps leave their comfort zone for a few seconds?! How dare you! </joking>
US Navy, NEC HM8404
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

:D :shock: :mrgreen:
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
sanmig
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sanmig »

@Larry78723:
Agreed, not a problem to select items in a single row in Nemo.
However, Nemo fails with multiple selection, and that’s not a matter of habit.
How to at once select say #1, #3, #5 to #9, and #14 (imagine you are cleaning your Inbox)?
I mean without planning :cry: :?:
So we should also agree and acknowledge that there are issues with Nemo.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

@sanmig - I agree that in the case you described, it is a problem. I've never seen any version of Nemo that will do that, not LM17, 18, 19, or 20. I'd say it's a feature request, not a bug.
sanmig
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sanmig »

Larry78723 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:02 pm I'd say it's a feature request, not a bug.
Um, I beg to differ slightly: Neither nor.
It’s Linux, and Linux is different, let’s celebrate that 8)
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

sanmig wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:57 pm
Larry78723 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:02 pm I'd say it's a feature request, not a bug.
Well, let's look at this realistically, was this a feature that was officially implemented but currently doesn't work? If so, then it is a bug. However, I don't remember this type of functionality ever being implemented and working in Mint, so I'm inclined to say it is a feature request.

Yes, this is Linux.. and one of the great things about Linux is that you can grab the sources and make desired changes or request a new feature be added.
US Navy, NEC HM8404
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

sanmig wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:57 pm
Linux is different, it is overall handy ...
--

Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

mikeflan wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:31 pm
it is quite difficult to reproduce.
Not for me. It is very easy to reproduce. If another file in the directory is already selected, then ctrl+click shift+click always fails. If you change it to click shift+click then it always works.
In my case there is no file already selected ...

But I can't understand why I don't use what you describe, that is the normal way
and when it happens I cannot reproduce it on dmeand, after, but if I continue to work, it comes back after some time
now i begin to wonder if it is not a bug of me, as not to remember to have selected some file
I think that it is possible that when I open a folder, I click on a random file without a reason so I let it selected, perhaps I forget this and you now what follows

I ll record with cinnamon, what i exactly do
--

Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

I have just still had this ... and I used the select file then shift+click process, the selection worked fine 5 or 6 times and each time I copy paste the selection in a subfolder of the same folder, and when it began to "misfunction" then i had the selection go from this folder to the last file and not from the first file selected, and after this I had another issue and it was the first file after the folders group which was unwillingly selected to begin the selection

It is in a display by date rule , I wonder it this may play a role because I allways use this
--

Return to “Software & Applications”