Flatpak or not

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tkocou
Level 2
Level 2

Flatpak or not

Post by tkocou »

From what I have been reading via the forum search, whether to use a flatpak app or not depends on the application. Apps which do not require extensive hardware access appear to do well with Linux Mint. Those apps which are dependent on hardware access might or might not mesh well with Linux Mint.
Frankly, the LM repository is not cutting edge - which is a good thing. I can have confidence that an app installed from the LM repository will work correctly 99.9% of the time. However, there are times when one needs the cutting edge version of an application. Flatpak apps fill that need.
So, one caveat for adding a flatpak app, if you already have the repository version installed, think about uninstalling it before you install the flatpak version. If thing go sour, you always have the option of uninstalling the flatpak version and re-installing the LM repository version.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Flatpak or not

Post by mikeflan »

I can have confidence that an app installed from the LM repository will work correctly 99.9% of the time.
I agree with that. I mean the number might be closer to 97%, but they are very reliable. And in my dealings the flatpaks I install from the SM are 100% reliable so far. I actually seek out Flatpaks since I have had such good experiences with them.

I think the advice you give above is very good.

Return to “Software & Applications”