OneNote replacement (free)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
duke_33
Level 1
Level 1

OneNote replacement (free)

Post by duke_33 »

Hi guys, I'm looking for a free replacement for OneNote. And the feature I'm interested about is organization of notes in a hierarchical way (nesting notes). I've tried Zim and CherryTree. They are really nice, but what is whit pasted images? I just can't drag them and move around, nor resize them just by clicking on a corner and dragging. Is it me that I could not find a way to do it? It feels incredibly inconvenient and crippled. Also saw about Joplin, but I'm not interested on markdown format.

Any advice on another software to try?
Any explanation about what I've experienced with the pictures? Maybe there's an easy way to handle them and I did not realize

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: OneNote replacement (free)

Post by mikeflan »

I don't have any recommendations amongst these:
https://alternativeto.net/software/micr ... form=linux
But I think I have heard the best endorsements for Cherrytree.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Cherrytree can resize images but not how yhou descibed. Look in their onlinbe manual. I haven't used this feature myself though.

Finding alternatives to Windows apps in Linux isn't hard, but finding programs that work the same is. Generally programs native to both OSes is the only way. I use cherrytree and zim is good too.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
duke_33
Level 1
Level 1

Post by duke_33 »

Hoser Rob wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:26 am Cherrytree can resize images but not how yhou descibed. Look in their onlinbe manual.
They can be resized, but got to right click and input manually the size, pretty incovinient. And could not find a way to dra and reposition them, which is a pretty basic thing and should not be that hard to find out or do
Hoser Rob wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:26 am Finding alternatives to Windows apps in Linux isn't hard, but finding programs that work the same is. Generally programs native to both OSes is the only way. I use cherrytree and zim is good too.
Well... I'm not looking for something that behaves the same,I just can't believe that putting to images side by side or dragging them around can't be done, or is complicated, as it is resizing an image, and I was giving those features for granted. Thanks for your advice.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I was unable to find any Linux based note app that met my needs,

I ended up with www.Evernote.com which is perfect for my requirements.

accessible from anywhere via the web, or on my cellphone as a dedicated device.

one thought though, as OneNote is a windows product, install Wine and then install OneNote

https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

I did that so that I could use MS Office Pro 2003, LibreOffice and I don't get along at all.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
duke_33
Level 1
Level 1

Post by duke_33 »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:11 am I was unable to find any Linux based note app that met my needs,

I ended up with www.Evernote.com which is perfect for my requirements.

accessible from anywhere via the web, or on my cellphone as a dedicated device.

one thought though, as OneNote is a windows product, install Wine and then install OneNote

https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

I did that so that I could use MS Office Pro 2003, LibreOffice and I don't get along at all.
Thanks! I tried it, but it does not have nesting notes feature, which is the one I'm interested the most!

Return to “Software & Applications”