[ SOLVED ] Organizing Files

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

[ SOLVED ] Organizing Files

Post by JTemple »

I organize most files by name. This usually means if I put the year first in the name they fall in line by date OR if I number each file, 1. 2. 3, etc, they follow the number sequence. I have one file that I can not place in the year sequence or the number sequence. 1 file just persists in first place before 2011 and the file is 2021. I tried manual and can move it that way but it means moving all of the files and is not as tidy as the auto placements. Does anyone have an idea why I can not fix this? I even tried renaming the file and that also failed.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Organizing Files

Post by xenopeek »

Perhaps a file manager feature you're accidentally using. For example Nemo file manager on Cinnamon has a feature for favorite and pinned files. If you favorite a file or pin it, it will always be first in directory view. So if you have a file "aaa" and a file "bbb" and you favorite the "bbb" file, or pin it, it will always show before "aaa". No matter how you rename "bbb" because you favorited or pinned it.

If you're using Cinnamon try right clicking the file in question and see if the context menu offers you the option to remove from favorites or unpin the file.

Perhaps Caja and Thunar have something similar, if you're using MATE or Xfce. Beyond that I can only think the file is in your Downloads directory? The Downloads directory sorts files on date not on name.
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

xenopeek wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:15 pm Perhaps a file manager feature you're accidentally using. For example Nemo file manager on Cinnamon has a feature for favorite and pinned files. If you favorite a file or pin it, it will always be first in directory view. So if you have a file "aaa" and a file "bbb" and you favorite the "bbb" file, or pin it, it will always show before "aaa". No matter how you rename "bbb" because you favorited or pinned it.

If you're using Cinnamon try right clicking the file in question and see if the context menu offers you the option to remove from favorites or unpin the file.

Perhaps Caja and Thunar have something similar, if you're using MATE or Xfce. Beyond that I can only think the file is in your Downloads directory? The Downloads directory sorts files on date not on name.
The file is not pinned and the context menu has no "favourites" option. There is no copy in my downloads folder & Either way, it would it should still be in line of the dates as are all the rest. They are named for the year & date that is, in fact, the correct years and dates they were down loaded. I am using LM 20.1 Cinnamon.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

JTemple wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:45 pm
xenopeek wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:15 pm Perhaps a file manager feature you're accidentally using. For example Nemo file manager on Cinnamon has a feature for favorite and pinned files. If you favorite a file or pin it, it will always be first in directory view. So if you have a file "aaa" and a file "bbb" and you favorite the "bbb" file, or pin it, it will always show before "aaa". No matter how you rename "bbb" because you favorited or pinned it.

The file is not pinned and the context menu has no "favourites" option. There is no copy in my downloads folder & Either way, it would it should still be in line of the dates as are all the rest. They are named for the year & date that is, in fact, the correct years and dates they were down loaded. I am using LM 20.1 Cinnamon.
Go into your Downloads folder, right-click and select "arrange items" and have a look there. The Downloads folder has a different arrangement than all of the other folders in Mint Cinnamon.. perhaps tweaking this arrangement will produce the desired behavior.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.
US Navy, NEC HM8404
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

revmacian wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:21 pm
JTemple wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:45 pm

Go into your Downloads folder, right-click and select "arrange items" and have a look there. The Downloads folder has a different arrangement than all of the other folders in Mint Cinnamon.. perhaps tweaking this arrangement will produce the desired behavior.
I'll be... I changed the Downloads file to organize by name and that seemed to do the trick for the files in the Documents folder. So very intuitive!! revmacian, Thank You!
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

JTemple wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:46 pm
revmacian wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:21 pm
JTemple wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:45 pm The file is not pinned and the context menu has no "favourites" option. There is no copy in my downloads folder & Either way, it would it should still be in line of the dates as are all the rest. They are named for the year & date that is, in fact, the correct years and dates they were down loaded. I am using LM 20.1 Cinnamon.
I'll be... I changed the Downloads file to organize by name and that seemed to do the trick for the files in the Documents folder. So very intuitive!! revmacian, Thank You!
You're welcome. I ran into the same problem a while back and that was how I learned about the different types of folder arrangements. I'm glad this is resolved now :D
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.
US Navy, NEC HM8404

Return to “Software & Applications”