Backup tool; Timeshift; Back in Time Clarification

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LinuxNoob
Level 1
Level 1

Backup tool; Timeshift; Back in Time Clarification

Post by LinuxNoob »

I understand how Timeshift and Back in Time work. But with Backup tool you can tell it to back up your programs so you can quickly re-install after you restore. I was wondering if either Timeshift or Back in Time do the same? I guess I don't know in which directory programs reside....

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Backup tool; Timeshift; Back in Time Clarification

Post by mikeflan »

Timeshift restores the entire system (minus the home and root directory). So you get the original OS back too. So NO, Timeshift and Back-in-Time will not restore programs into a new OS install. Nothing that I know of is real good at doing that. Except maybe that commercial program - I forget what it is called.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Backup tool; Timeshift; Back in Time Clarification

Post by RIH »

The Backup Tool is the best free resource to try & re-install your personalised apps & settings on a new install.
However it is not a complete tool.
I don't think that it can restore fonts & themes nor Applets.
Apps are only automatically restored if you originally installed it from the Repositories & if it still exists there.
It does, however, clearly indicate what Apps you had that it has not re-installed so you can manually add them - or find an alternative if they no longer exist.

Return to “Software & Applications”