Snapshot defaults-SOLVED

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ragz

Snapshot defaults-SOLVED

Post by Ragz »

The snapshot default is an ON 5 per day. The weekly, monthly, hourly, boot defaults are all OFF.
Would it be best to turn all on?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Snapshot defaults

Post by RIH »

Personally I have them all set to off.
To me, the most important thing is my data.
I have had to reload Mint about 4 times since I started using it about 6 years ago because I had destroyed it.
Yes, a snapshot would have saved me a reload but I am willing to live with that.

My personal data I would not like to lose, so I back it up in multiple places as it changes..

A timeshift 5 times a day seems excessive to me no matter if it is a beneficial system or not...
Surely once (before making system changes like updates) should be sufficient?
To augment once a day with extra would seem excessive to say the least..
Last edited by RIH on Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ragz

Post by Ragz »

RIH wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:02 pm Personally I have them all set to off.
To me, the most important thing is my data.
I have had to reload Mint about 4 times since I started using it about 6 years ago because I had destroyed it.
Yes, a snapshot would have saved me a reload but I am willing to live with that.

My personal data I would not like to lose, so I back it up in multiple places as it changes..
Instead of taking a picture you do regular backups. What do you do when an upgrade gives you issues?
Is there an app within Mint which will do determined backups on regular basis automatically?
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

Ragz wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:05 pm Instead of taking a picture you do regular backups. What do you do when an upgrade gives you issues?
Is there an app within Mint which will do determined backups on regular basis automatically?
Timeshift is not meant as a system to save a users personal data. It is a system restore resource.
5 times a day seems an excessive use to me..
I cannot remember, in all my time with Mint, that a daily update ever gave me an issue.
Yes, I have wrecked the system through my own foolishness a few times & then I am happy to learn a lesson & do a re-install - it is not a long task.. :D

Luckybackup is a fairly simple app in the repository.
FreeFileSync is an alternative method of backing up..
Ragz

Post by Ragz »

RIH wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:19 pm
Ragz wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:05 pm Instead of taking a picture you do regular backups. What do you do when an upgrade gives you issues?
Timeshift is not meant as a system to save a users personal data. It is a system restore resource.
5 times a day seems an excessive use to me..
I cannot remember, in all my time with Mint, that a daily update ever gave me an issue.
Yes, I have wrecked the system through my own foolishness a few times & then I am happy to learn a lesson & do a re-install - it is not a long task.. :D

Luckybackup is a fairly simple app in the repository.
FreeFileSync is an alternative method of backing up..
Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”