[SOLVED] Add an action to right-click menu (LM20 Cinnamon)?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZM
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Add an action to right-click menu (LM20 Cinnamon)?

Post by AZM »

For the solution, please see the post from RIH and my SECOND reply.
With this help, I have found where Nemo keeps its actions scripts for editing the menu.

---------
I ran Linux Mint 19.1 MATE, where I edited in the "Caja actions" to add an "Edit" entry to the context menu for certain file extensions. I set this "Edit" option to open the file in the Text Editor. I could right-click a file and choose "Edit."

I would like to do that on Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon. I found somewhere in my searching the Internet about using Nemo. Then I lost it.

For starters, I found in my home directory, .cinnamon/configs/menu@cinnamon.org/13.json. Interesting to find all these "email addresses!" But I didn't find anything similar to a caja-actions folder or file. It's been some time since I last saw version 19.x.

Is there a way to accomplish my goal, and if so, how, please. do I go about adding to my menu?
Thank you.

Using the MintBox Mini 2 Pro, factory-installed LM 20 Cinnamon.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintBox Mini 2 Pro + 250G outboard SSD
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon since March 2024
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Add an action to right-click menu (LM20 Cinnamon)?

Post by RIH »

I don't know if this is sending you down the wrong rabbit hole, but if so, apologies..

If you open Nemo & then Edit - Preferences this screen appears.
Nemo.png
If you select the Plugins tab & then click on the Folder icon, this screen appears.
Nemo 1.png
If you click on the More info button then the insert screen appears.

Hope that is of some use...
AZM
Level 2
Level 2

Post by AZM »

Please disregard THIS post. I ran the Nemo command successfully and posted another reply, below, and called this thread Solved.

RIH, this might be the right rabbit hole. I opened Nemo in the Terminal and got a file manager window up together with this message:

Code: Select all

Nemo-Share-Message: 07:13:05.672: Called "net usershare info" but it failed: 
'net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: cannot open usershare 
directory /var/lib/samba/usershares. Error No such file or directory
Please ask your system administrator to enable user sharing.
I ran net usershare, sudo net usershare, and sudo nemo with the same message. With sudo nemo, I got an elevated-privilege window up.

What do I need to do to fix this error?

Thank you!
Last edited by AZM on Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AZM
Level 2
Level 2

Post by AZM »

RIH wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:26 am I don't know if this is sending you down the wrong rabbit hole, but if so, apologies..

If you open Nemo & then Edit - Preferences this screen appears.

Nemo.png

If you select the Plugins tab & then click on the Folder icon, this screen appears.

Nemo 1.png

If you click on the More info button then the insert screen appears.

Hope that is of some use...
OK, today I ran Nemo in the Terminal. There were no complaint messages this time, for whatever reason. And the file manager window was up. RIH, I could follow your instructions right down to getting into the sample script. Your answer was spot-on for telling me where Nemo keeps its actions scripts for modifying the context menu.

Now I just need to familiarize myself with the scripting part of this deal to get it doing what I want. Thank you.

There was one more response taking me to Github and I will look into that along with a search for Nemo action scripting help.

Oh, one last thing: I edited the sample.nemo-actions script file and tried to save it as a new name, but I discovered I was in the system folders, without permission to save. I saved it to my Desktop and then cut and pasted it into my .local folder where actions are kept.

Thanks again. I think I can say this thread is SOLVED. If I need, I can ask a new question about scripting.

Return to “Software & Applications”