Firefox suddenly opens tabs in new window

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GeorgiaMutt
Level 2
Level 2

Firefox suddenly opens tabs in new window

Post by GeorgiaMutt »

I'm using Firefox 89.0 on Linux Mint 21 XFCE version. When I open a page in new tab, sometimes after a few seconds, it will suddenly close the new tab and open the page in a new window - a whole new iteration of Firefox. This has been going on for as long as I can remember, so it affects past versions of both Linux and Firefox. This is very annoying! Has anyone else encountered this quirk? Does anyone know what's causing it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Firefox suddenly opens tabs in new window

Post by RIH »

GeorgiaMutt wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:28 pm Does anyone know what's causing it?
It sounds like a browser re-direct.
What pages do the newly spawned tabs open to?
If it is to advertise items (particularly 'dubious' products/services) then it is almost certainly that.

If that is so then you have two choices.
1. Track down & remove the re-direct - probably from somewhere in the about:config tab. That can be time consuming in order to find the cause, although a 'google' search on 'Removing Firefox browser re-directs' should give you some valid clues.
2. Remove Firefox completely from your equipment - that will include some mozilla folders that just removing the Firefox app won't remove automatically. They can be found using Search from / in Nemo*. Then re-install Firefox, probably as a brand new user just to make sure.

Edit:
* sorry, Thunar in your case..
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

I hate this--For me this was caused by inadvertent middle-clicks during scroll as this mouse is super sensitive.

In the FF url window enter:
about:config
read the warning and accept,
type 'middle' in the search field
There are several controllable operations--I have set all those to 'false'
good to go now
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
GeorgiaMutt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GeorgiaMutt »

Thanks All41, I'm going to try that!
GeorgiaMutt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GeorgiaMutt »

Thanks RIH, I'll look into that. The new windows are just opening the last tab I opened; they just break out into a separate instance of Firefox. I suspect this was meant to be a "feature" that somehow ran amok.

Return to “Software & Applications”