Eliminating search from Cinnamon Mint Menu

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
markosjal
Level 1
Level 1

Eliminating search from Cinnamon Mint Menu

Post by markosjal »

I have an issue with the Mint Menu on Cinnamon. When I launch the Mint menu (Start Menu) , my screen is overtaken with the on screen keyboard. This is because of the text field for searching in the menu (See images). This is on a 2 in 1 .

I need to know how to kill the search box in this menu so this stops happening.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2021-06-22 00-21-31.jpg
Menu.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Eliminating search from Cinnamon Mint Menu

Post by SMG »

markosjal wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:33 amThis is because of the text field for searching in the menu (See images).
When I click the Menu button on my LM20.1 Cinnamon, I do not get the onscreen keyboard even though there is the search box.

Perhaps there is a default setting on your 2 in 1 that is placing the keyboard onscreen? Are you using a keyboard when this happens?
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

I don't see the connection between the search field and the keyboard. I suspect you have the keyboard set to start automatically.
Cliff Coggin
markosjal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markosjal »

The keyboard is set to come on whenever a text field is active. This mode is needed for tablet mode. Everything works as expected , except this menu because of the text field

My question is not looking for approval of the modes I select it is looking for how to disable the search field , even if you would do it differently.

These are the Accessibility > Keyboard settings (see image)
Screenshot from 2021-06-22 19-08-41.jpg
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

You can try this if you want to:
viewtopic.php?p=888742#p888742
Don't interpret this as a recommendation from me to try this. It's just provided FYI.
markosjal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markosjal »

I tried dcoonf-editor it does not look anything like what I see on that thread but looked in the Mint menu options and found no way to kill the search.

Thanks anyway
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

markosjal wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:12 pm The keyboard is set to come on whenever a text field is active. This mode is needed for tablet mode. Everything works as expected , except this menu because of the text field
When I click the menu button, the search field text is active. I can see the cursor blinking in the field. So if your keyboard is set to come on whenever a text field is active then it is working properly if it comes up when you click the menu button.

That means I do not understand why you say this is not working as expected because it sounds like it is working as expected.

To me, it appears you want to change the functionality of the menu button. I do not know the code well enough to give you directions on how to change the code functionality.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
markosjal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markosjal »

The simple fact that the Application (Start or Mint) menu has a text box and appears to be the focused item on screen when that menu appears is the very problem. This causes the On screen keyboard to come up when trying to use in Tablet mode. . Unfortunately it means that tablet mode becomes almost useless, and yes we do need the ability to remove it from the menu or suppress said text box from appearing in the menu.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

markosjal wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:19 am ... and yes we do need the ability to remove it from the menu or suppress said text box from appearing in the menu.
The only thing you can do about that is raise a feature request here: https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon-menus/issues

https://specifications.freedesktop.org/ ... ec/latest/

Alsoo see the freedesktop.org menu specification.

Return to “Software & Applications”