Problem with Wine

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lef17
Level 1
Level 1

Problem with Wine

Post by lef17 »

Whenever I try to install a program through Wine a blank error message pops up. Is there any way I can fix it?
Attachments
Screenshot from 2021-06-24 00-24-11.png
Screenshot from 2021-06-24 00-24-11.png (3.88 KiB) Viewed 170 times
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Problem with Wine

Post by majpooper »

I guess it really depends on what Windows program you are trying to install. I gave up on WINE many moons ago initially because I had limited success with it if any success at all. The aspect of Wine though is it introduces Windows vulnerabilities onto a more secure linux system although I suppose you can sandbox Wine to mitigate that.

Why not use a Windows virtual machine on your Mint system? It is much safer IMHO and eliminates all the installation hassles as you are literally installing your Windows program on a Windows machine - albeit a virtual machine. There are plenty of folks on this forum that can help you with that approach.
lef17
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lef17 »

I'll give virtual machines a shot. Thanks!
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

The VM machine is probably good advice, but if it doesn't work out try Play-on-Linux for the Wine installation. I just want to know if your program works on Play-on-Linux.

Return to “Software & Applications”