[SOLVED] Authentication Required on Boot

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
StevePirateX
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Authentication Required on Boot

Post by StevePirateX »

Hi,

I'm using Linux Mint 20.1 with Cinnamon and have recently started getting the "Authentication Required" pop-up on boot. My system doesn't have a login screen to enter a password when I turn it on and it didn't do this in the past. I suspect it might be an application I have installed recently.

Is there a way to track down what application or process is asking for root credentials? - Whether this be in a command but also a log file of when applications want elevated permissions with the root password?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Authentication Required on Boot

Post by spamegg »

Look at Passwords and Keys
pwk.png
Click on "Login" to see what's there
login.png
Last edited by spamegg on Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dave0808 »

It depends on where/when in the boot process you are being prompted. If the desktop has been started, then you should be able to switch to a command line login by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1 (or any up to F6). To switch back to the desktop, use Ctrl-Alt-F7. After you switch, there may be a short pause (a few seconds) before you get a login prompt, for example:-

Code: Select all

Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa hostname tty1
hostname login:
At this point your normal username and password should log you in and you can examine the list of processes.

If you can't get to that then perhaps something is interrupting the boot before the desktop starts. The only thing I've seen before that does this is when you have an encrypted partition (LUKS) and the boot process requires that it be unlocked before continuing. It should say something like "Password required for sda4" or similar (I forget the exact words).

Another option could be a web server that requires a password to unlock a key for TLS/SSL, though I've not seen this prompt during boot personally, my only experience is with Apache.

Otherwise, can you post a screenshot / camera photo?
opjose
Level 1
Level 1

Post by opjose »

It is likely the keyring manager asking for authentication.
StevePirateX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by StevePirateX »

Thanks for this - all fixed

You were right that it was the login section in the keyring manager. Upon closer inspection of the Authentication Required it did mention the keyring manager. I removed some of the passwords that I didn't need. Although it still comes up when I open up Spotify as it is a password protected account I understand this is a security measure. I have a clean desktop on boot up now.

Return to “Software & Applications”