[SOLVED] Rebuilding apps' .desktop files

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ineuw
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED] Rebuilding apps' .desktop files

Post by ineuw »

Is there a gnome, or system utility to clean and rebuild the .desktop files of installed applications? Installing xed from the terminal failed to list it anywhere in the Cinnamon menu. Already reset the menu to defaults, but it didn't help. Uninstalled and reinstalled it through the Software Manager, which finally created the local .desktop file.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Desktop: Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 English Edge - Desktop: Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 French
Laptop: Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 English - as of 24-04-15
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Rebuilding apps' .desktop files

Post by Larry78723 »

xed shows as Text Editor in the Cinnamon menu.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
ineuw
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ineuw »

Thanks for the reply. I know that xed is "Text editor", but nothing existed. Also, it was only an example. and it really doesn't help answer question.
Desktop: Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 English Edge - Desktop: Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 French
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Is there a gnome, or system utility to clean and rebuild the .desktop files of installed applications?
That is a reasonable request. I would settle for right clicking the LM menu item and obtaining the "exec" command that would launch the app from a terminal. What I request is pretty easy:

Code: Select all

ls -la /usr/share/applications
grep -rin 'exec=' /usr/share/applications
grep -rin 'name=' /usr/share/applications
What you request would also be nice to have. I have searched quite a bit and surprisingly can't find anything. I have no doubt something like this exists.
ineuw
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ineuw »

Thanks for helping me to look. Next I will post on Gnome forum.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

When you say "clean and rebuild", are you talking about apps that you've edited via the menu editor and want to revert back? Check in $HOME/.local/share/applications - this is where any user-edited .desktop files are stored, which override the ones installed in /usr/share/applications.
ineuw
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ineuw »

ajgringo619 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:22 pm When you say "clean and rebuild", are you talking about apps that you've edited via the menu editor and want to revert back? Check in $HOME/.local/share/applications - this is where any user-edited .desktop files are stored, which override the ones installed in /usr/share/applications.
@ajgringo619, apologies for the late reply, but I was swamped. By "clean and rebuild", at first it was assumed that there is a single file listing the menu entries, including uninstalled items that were not removed from the list. Then, I focused on both the system and local .desktop files and removed the uninstalled apps. Studied the differences and edit the ones in the .local/share, and reset the Mint menu several times. It seems that consecutive LM updates included a gnome update as well and corrected my issues.

Return to “Software & Applications”