Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
kate
Level 1
Level 1

Error with using Launcher

Post by kate »

Ok, so I use the following code:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/games/smac/Loki_Compat/libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so:/usr/lib/libX11.so /usr/games/smac/smac.dynamic

to launch SMAC (Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri) on my computer.
I wanted to create a Launcher, so I put that code in the command, but when I double click the Launcher afterward, I get this error:

There was an error launching the application.
Details: Failed to execute child process "LD_PRELOAD=/usr/games/smac/Loki_Compat/libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so:/usr/lib/libX11.so" (No such file or directory)

So I thought Oh, ok maybe I just need the /usr/games/smac/smac.dynamic and removed the rest and nothing happened. Doing that in the command line gave a seg fault.

What is my problem?
Thanks.
David Hunter
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Error with using Launcher

Post by David Hunter »

I had this issue trying to put a launcher on my panel.
To fix it, I just found the one I wanted from the menu, and dragged and dropped, rather than manually creating a new launcher.
Is there a shortcut in the menu for you to do this?

Have you got SMAC to work previously? If so, what command do you run to launch it?
Thanks beyecixramd!
Husse wrote:Actually I've never broken a Linux I have managed to install - but there are a few I never managed to install :)
David Hunter
Level 3
Level 3

Post by David Hunter »

Hi kate,

Did my suggestion help solve your issue?
Thanks beyecixramd!
Husse wrote:Actually I've never broken a Linux I have managed to install - but there are a few I never managed to install :)
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

With that size of command, most people are likely to suggest putting it into a script, that you run from the launcher..
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.p ... 06578.html

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
# A simple shell script to launch SMAC on a modern Linux distribution

SCRIPTLOC=$0
DIRNAME=""

# Step through symlinks to find where the script really is
while [ -L $SCRIPTLOC ]; do
SCRIPTLOC=`readlink $SCRIPTLOC`
done
# Get the directory the script is in, then change to it
DIRNAME=`dirname $SCRIPTLOC`
cd $DIRNAME
# Run the game
LD_PRELOAD=../Loki_Compat/libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so:/usr/lib32/libX11.so ./smac.dynamic 
Again, keep in mind you may need to change the last command slightly if you're on a 32-bit system, or if you installed the Loki_Compat libraries somewhere different.

http://lordhedgehog.hedgie.com/smac/
  • I suggest creating scripts, aliases, or menu items to avoid typing these each time:
    To start Alpha Centauri:
    LD_PRELOAD=/usr/local/games/smac/Loki_Compat/libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so /usr/local/games/smac/smac.dynamic
    To start Alien Crossfire:
    LD_PRELOAD=/usr/local/games/smac/Loki_Compat/libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so /usr/local/games/smac/smacx.dynamic
You also have space characters in the command line, so presumably you escaped or quoted the command line..
  • ' LD_PRELOAD=/usr/local/games/smac/Loki_Compat/libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so /usr/local/games/smac/smac.dynamic '
--single quotes ( ' ) work better than double quotes ( " ) for most filename paths

Return to “Software & Applications”