[SOLVED] Firefox 90 - dark themes unuseable now

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jazz pigeon
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Firefox 90 - dark themes unuseable now

Post by jazz pigeon »

Yup, here we are again. This time, if you pick a dark theme, it renders the toolbar menu text nearly illegible. Image
The only way to read it properly is to pick a light coloured theme, which rather defeats the object of having themes, as well as being a nuisance.
Last edited by jazz pigeon on Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Firefox 90

Post by Flemur »

jazz pigeon wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:49 am Yup, here we are again. This time, if you pick a dark theme, it renders the toolbar menu text nearly illegible. Image
The only way to read it properly is to pick a light coloured theme, which rather defeats the object of having themes, as well as being a nuisance.
Another nice feature of FF 90, carried over from 89.x, is to pester the user to update even though it's already the current version as reported by "Help -> About".
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Palebushman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Palebushman »

Just installed Firefox 90.0 (64-bit) via update manager and cannot see the black Menu Toolbar fonts in the FF default 'Dark' mode too. The default 'System or Light' modes are not my favourites and the one and only Mozilla add-on theme I use, has the Menu Toolbar fonts all black and very blurry.
It's taken me a lot of hours getting my new install of 'Uma' to look just a little similar to how I liked it in my Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia MATE, only to be disappointed with a browser that seems to be getting very problematic in its recent 'incarnations'. Hopefully there will be a few of the LM Dev Titans out there, who may be able to offer a workaround jazz pigeon. :wink: Curious to know if there is a more reliable Linux browser to use instead.
My System Info.
Linux Mint 20.3 Una 64-bit (Legacy BIOS)
Kernel: 5.4.0-167-generic
Memory 7.8 GiB. CPU AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+ × 2
Graphics: AMD CEDAR HDD space available 951.4 GB
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Mint 20.2 Cinnamon, Firefox 90.0 - no font bugs in dark mode.
Anyway, the whole Proton stuff is turned off via about:config - and remains turned off.

bluecoat58
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bluecoat58 »

Go in Firefox settings...and set it to system theme. My cinnamon is set to dark and firefox picks up those attributes...no problem.
DE: Cinnamon
WM: Mutter (Muffin)
WM Theme: Graphite-One (Graphite-One
Theme: Mint-Y-Dark [GTK2/3]
Icons: Adwaita [GTK2/3]
Attachments
2021-07-16_22-31.png
2021-07-16_22-31.png
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

absque fenestris wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:17 pm Anyway, the whole Proton stuff is turned off via about:config - and remains turned off.
Thanks for advising people on how to actually do it.

For those looking to do the above: https://winaero.com/how-to-restore-clas ... proton-ui/
Palebushman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Palebushman »

Awesome Kadaitcha Man! Like your way of thinking too, just got to love the deplomacy of you Linux Titans.
My System Info.
jazz pigeon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jazz pigeon »

Just tried turning Proton off. Sad to say it didn't help. (I've got Firefox Colour installed which doesn't solve this by any means but I have got a theme I can live with.)
jazz pigeon
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Firefox 90 - dark themes unuseable now

Post by jazz pigeon »

But what did help is upgrading to 90.0.2. Ironically. Menu toolbar (dark theme) now in white and very legible. Not sure if that counts as solved, however.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I'm staying with 89.0 until y'all report things have stabilized.

I do not like have to tweak things with every new update.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Palebushman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Palebushman »

jazz pigeon wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:14 pm But what did help is upgrading to 90.0.2. Ironically. Menu toolbar (dark theme) now in white and very legible. Not sure if that counts as solved, however.
Just updated to the Firefox Ver: 90.0.2 and one of the 3 'fixes' is the menu styling on some Gtk themes.
My 'Really Nice Persona 03' theme is now working fine once again. Having said that, I did try the Pale Moon and Chromium browsers during this Firefox issue and I am now contemplating a change to one of them.
Although I have to say Pale Moon is looking much more attractive than the other ones, I really do miss the old 'Walnut Theme' that I had in my earlier versions of Firefox and Thunderbird.

BTW "jazz pigeon", I think we both can go to our first posts on this Firefox issue and add the [SOLVED] badge to the end of our topic titles. :wink:
My System Info.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: [SOLVED] Firefox 90 - dark themes unuseable now

Post by karlchen »

<mod>
Starting with Firefox 91 disabling the Proton UI by setting browser.proton.enabled=false and potentially more browser.proton.<variables>=false no longer works.
Instead the same visual results can be achieved only by resorting to sophisticated userChrome.css and userContent.css files.
Please, find the follow-up thread on Firefox 91 here: Firefox 91 Turning off Proton no longer works like on Firefox 89 and 90
</mod>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Software & Applications”