[Solved] Audio-Recorder in LM20.2

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jud
Level 3
Level 3

[Solved] Audio-Recorder in LM20.2

Post by jud »

Folks,
I am trying to record audio that is being streamed in a web page.
I can hear the audio ok through my laptop speakers. I can use the volume control keys provided on the laptop keyboard.
However, the Audio Recorder app is recording at a much lower volume and I cant figure out how to increase that recording volume for this app.
Please help.
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SimonPeter
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Audio-Recorder in LM20.2

Post by SimonPeter »

jud wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:44 am I am trying to record audio that is being streamed in a web page.
SimpleScreenRecorder may do the trick for you.

Also, which audio recorder app are you using ?

You should be able to control the speaker/mic volume by right-clicking on the volume icon and going through those menus.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

jud wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:44 am I am trying to record audio that is being streamed in a web page.
While it might be a bit overblown for your needs, I use OBS Studio.

https://launchpad.net/~obsproject/+arch ... lter=focal
jud
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jud »

Thank you for your replies folks.
I checked OBS Studio. Yes, it is an overkill for this requirement.
I need to record audio stream coming for a webpage. So I am trying this:
https://launchpad.net/audio-recorder
It is simple to use. Works. But the recoding level is low.
I tried the Simple Screen Recorder suggested here. That too records with same low volume. So the problem may be in the backend which should be fixable by Pulse Audio or ALSA volume setting. But I don't know how to do that.
Any ideas?
SimonPeter
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SimonPeter »

jud wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:10 pm So the problem may be in the backend which should be fixable by Pulse Audio or ALSA volume setting. But I don't know how to do that.
Any ideas?
You should be able to control the speaker/mic volume by right-clicking on the volume icon and going through those menus. (I told this earlier)

Or, search for "Pulse Audio" or "ALSA" in the menu and use those menus to adjust the volume (the "Input" tab or the "Recording" tab or something similar)
jud
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jud »

Sir, I am able to increase/reduce the speaker volume by using the physical volume button on the laptop or by clicking on the speaker icon on task bar. However, it has no effect on the recording volume. It maintains the same low level.
sanmig
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sanmig »

jud wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:10 pm I tried the Simple Screen Recorder suggested here. That too records with same low volume. So the problem may be in the backend which should be fixable by Pulse Audio or ALSA volume setting. But I don't know how to do that.
Any ideas?
The second part of the answer was:
SimonPeter wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:18 pm Or, search for "Pulse Audio" or "ALSA" in the menu and use those menus to adjust the volume (the "Input" tab or the "Recording" tab or something similar)
That is, in Pulse Audio, when the website is streaming, in tab “Recording” you’ll see PulseEffects (monitor) and the SimpleScreenRecorder (only in case it’s actually recording). You can increase the recording volume from there.
However, for better control, I’d try to normalize the recorded audio file.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

jud wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:44 am However, the Audio Recorder app is recording at a much lower volume and I cant figure out how to increase that recording volume for this app.
Install and run pavucontrol, and check/adjust the recording volume (see the red rectangle):
pavucontrol-recording.jpg
(click to embiggen)
Note - you have to start recording before you can change or set the recording level.
oceaudio and audacity show recording levels, I dunno if "audio-recorder" and such do so.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
jud
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jud »

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.
I did that. This has helped a little ie it raised the recording level a bit.
However, I found a workaround. If I connect my bluetooth speaker to this laptop and start recoding the live stream audio, the level is much better. So that serves the purpose.
Regards.
SimonPeter
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [Solved] Audio-Recorder in LM20.2

Post by SimonPeter »

jud wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:53 am Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.
I did that. This has helped a little ie it raised the recording level a bit.
However, I found a workaround. If I connect my bluetooth speaker to this laptop and start recoding the live stream audio, the level is much better. So that serves the purpose.
Regards.
Are you recording your speaker through your mic ?
I think it may be better to record your audio stream itself (I am not aware of the correct term to use for doing that).

Return to “Software & Applications”