VLC/Handbrake recognize DVDs for one second, then stop

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
punonymous
Level 1
Level 1

VLC/Handbrake recognize DVDs for one second, then stop

Post by punonymous »

I've been ripping my DVD collection for digital backups with Handbrake using an external BluRay/DVD drive (I've got a tiny laptop), and I got through 3 before my drive stopped recognizing any of the DVDs. It wouldn't spin them up, even the ones I had just (successfully) done. I figured the problem was the drive, so I got a newer, slightly more expensive, more differenter one.

This one spins up the DVDs, starts VLC because it recognizes a movie, I see the title appear in the window for VLC, then it goes away and steadfastly refuses to acknowledge that there's a DVD there. Can't play it in VLC, "No Source Found" in Handbrake. So the problem here seems to be software, given that the external drive is spinning up the DVD and for a brief glorious moment, it even knows which DVD. The weirdest thing is that I didn't change anything on my laptop, I don't think any relevant software updated at all.

My laptop is running 64 bits, version 19.1. I've installed the libdvdcss2 codec package before all this, and rechecked that it's installed (it is). The first external drive, the one that quit, is so cheap I can't find a brand on it anywhere, so I probably just shouldn't have bought that in the first place. The new one that's almost working is an Osgear thing, if that could possibly be helpful information.

I've been using Linux for a couple years now, but I don't have a deep understanding of it in general nor am I super familiar with terminal stuff, so please walk me through the next steps with patience! What other information would be helpful?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: VLC/Handbrake recognize DVDs for one second, then stop

Post by AndyMH »

Install makeMKV. It will deal with those DVDs that handbrake can't handle. When makeMKV has generated a mkv file, you can compress it to m4v with handbrake. Slightly more fiddly than just using handbrake, but it worked for me ripping my DVDs.

Just googling it, most hits point you to a snap, I install from ppa

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:heyarje/makemkv-beta
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y makemkv-bin
sudo apt-get install -y makemkv-oss
The beta version is free (and has been forever), you can get the key here:
https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtop ... f=5&t=1053

You may not have installed ubuntu restricted extras:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install -y ubuntu-restricted-extras
might solve your problem, but I still recommend makeMKV.

udftools may be another package you need to install. It's been a while since I did anything in this area.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
punonymous
Level 1
Level 1

Post by punonymous »

Unfortunately, MakeMKV didn't help either. That, VLC, and Handbrake all recognize the DVD for a moment, then can't tell there's something in the drive, so I don't get the option of converting it in any way. I'll test it with a regular old music CD and see if the problem might be firmware for the external drive? I have a feeling something's gone wrong with my computer's handling of copy protection, but that doesn't really explain why these DVDs won't play in VLC, so I'm stumped.
punonymous
Level 1
Level 1

Post by punonymous »

I've just tested it, and the the DVD/BluRay drive can read a regular old audio CD. No problems there, so it's probably not a drivers issue.

It only fails to run videos, but runs them just long enough for me to see that VLC and HandBrake recognize the title. What could cause that?
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Do you have a DVD that you know does not have copy protection (DRM), does that work? Or one that previously worked with handbrake. Try it again.

Did you install ubuntu-restricted-extras, it give you additional codecs?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
punonymous
Level 1
Level 1

Post by punonymous »

Yes to both. I did install ubuntu-restricted-extras (which did something that was probably putting in extra codecs) and I have since tested a DVD that I was able to read on the other external drive before it quit completely. And sadly it has the same problem. So maybe a defective drive since this DVD worked in the last one? I don't know.

I noticed something this time that might help diagnose. In HandBrake, I can navigate to the disc that the computer recognizes when choosing a source and when I tell it to select the source, it clearly scans through the various possible titles (scanning 1 of 9), but then finishes the scan and says "No Source Found." This is all super frustrating because the computer seems to know where the find the information, it just won't do it.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

My best guess is hardware failure. Fortunately internal/external drives are not too expensive.
punonymous
Level 1
Level 1

Post by punonymous »

Thanks for the advice. I returned the drive, got a new one of the same model, and you were exactly right. This one's reading DVDs just like it's supposed to, old ones I previously spun up and a new one to make sure.

I still can't get it to read Blu-Rays. It tries to spin up the disc a few times, then just quits. When I have MakeMKV open, it says "disc is being loaded" until the drive quits then "no disc found." Any advice there?

This is what the debug log says:

DEBUG: Code 0 at :dF09'kc`L+X+;OGG >t^*:29393631
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Don't have a blueray drive, are you sure you have one? If you do there are probably additional utilities you need to install. Someone else may advise...

Return to “Software & Applications”