Cannot change file association - .ts Files

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kylerickards
Level 4
Level 4

Cannot change file association - .ts Files

Post by kylerickards »

Hi

I can see a similar thread but not exactly so I didn't want to hijack anything.

My PVR records TV programmes in a .ts format which I can then watch across my network on the PC. However on Mint 19.3 I had to change the .ts to be associated to vlc as the default was linked to Skype.

However in LM 20.2, every time I change one of the files to be associated to vlc; open with other application and then remember the choice, it just ignores this and always tries opening it in Skype again ("Open with Share with Skype") - is there anyway around this please?

Thank you in advance
Kyle
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kylerickards
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Cannot change file association - .ts Files

Post by kylerickards »

Hi

Sorry to ask again or "bump" but I still cannot shift the association on these .ts video files from "Open with Share with Skype" (which I don't even know what that is but I can guess) to VLC in such a way that it remembers the change. By that, I don't mean it forgets after a reboot, I mean I can watch a video I have recorded using vlc and then go to open another and it goes straight back to the skype option.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

Which desktop? Cinnamon, Mate, XFCE?
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Try it this way:

Right-click on the .ts document and select > Open With > Other Application...

Then select the desired program in the new dialog box and also check the "Set as default" box at the bottom - and then Save.

kylerickards
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kylerickards »

Hi absque (hope I spelled that right!)

Nope, no dice, same result.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

kylerickards wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:31 pm Hi absque (hope I spelled that right!)

Nope, no dice, same result.
Oh yes, that's annoying when the digital soft or hard doesn't want so ... right now I'm thinking about throwing the Bluetooth mouse out the window ... :mrgreen:
kylerickards
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kylerickards »

I feel your pain!

It's so annoying! I think that thanks to the Forum I have managed to work my way around every other issue between 19.3 and 20.2 but they're just small niggling things I guess.

Return to “Software & Applications”