How do I go about installing the latest Filezilla 3.55.0?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZM
Level 2
Level 2

How do I go about installing the latest Filezilla 3.55.0?

Post by AZM »

Running Mint 20.2. I am running FileZilla version: 3.46.3, which is the latest available through the refreshed repository. Current version is 3.55.0. I downloaded FileZilla_3.55.0_x86_64-linux-gnu.tar.bz2, after being told my version is out o9f date.

It is "Built for Debian 10.0 (Buster) 64bit edition. It is highly recommended to use the package management system of your distribution or to manually compile FileZilla if you are running a different flavour of Linux." -- Copied from the FileZilla download site.

I take it I should compile. I have not compiled source code enough to be current with its procedure.

Please advise.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintBox Mini 2 Pro + 250G outboard SSD
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon since March 2024
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: How do I go about installing the latest Filezilla 3.55.0?

Post by JoeFootball »

AZM wrote: Please advise.
I would stay with the currently maintained version that's in the repos, unless you have a requirement for the latest version that I'm unaware of.

I would also give consideration to the "It is highly recommended to use the package management system of your distribution ..." advisory.

That all said, here's a tutorial on compiling from source ...

https://www.howtogeek.com/105413/how-to ... on-ubuntu/

And ...

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=230142
Delbruck
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Delbruck »

I asked a similar question here:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=352596

Hopefully that explains a little about it.

The file you download is basically an executable file. Right now I am still running the older version. I would like the newer version too as there are some apparently important security updates, but it doesn't look like we're going to get an update any time soon.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Delbruck wrote: I would like the newer version too as there are some apparently important security updates ...
If there are important security updates, they should be added via the package maintainer.
Delbruck wrote: ... but it doesn't look like we're going to get an update any time soon.
Version updates don't occur often in LTS codebases, but security updates do get applied.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Third time this has been asked within a few days:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=353302
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
AZM
Level 2
Level 2

Post by AZM »

Delbruck wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:30 pm I asked a similar question here:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=352596

Hopefully that explains a little about it.

The file you download is basically an executable file. Right now I am still running the older version. I would like the newer version too as there are some apparently important security updates, but it doesn't look like we're going to get an update any time soon.
I followed up on your question's answer, opened my FileZilla3 folder, then the bin subfolder, and tried double-clicking FileZilla. Double-clicking on it asked me which program I wanted to open it with, even though it is set to be executable. So next, I opened a terminal in the folder and ran the ./filezilla command, which brought up the new version without "installing" it.

Thank you for your input!

I might add, that when I download the source code, there are instructions in the README and INSTALL text files.

Thanks again.
MintBox Mini 2 Pro + 250G outboard SSD
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon since March 2024
Delbruck
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Delbruck »

Yer welcome. :)
In that topic I started there was a poster who explained how to run it and how to "install" it by creating a folder and such and then just running it as is. A fairly detailed instruction.

I have not done. So far at least I have just continued using the version that can be acquired through the repositories/package manager. It is an older version but hopefully someday soon it will be updated. It seems as though I am not alone in liking this program and I think quite a few people would benefit from an upgrade.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

The version of FileZilla that can be downloaded from FileZilla web site is an executable one, compiled for Debian Sid, and working with Mint 20.2 (I have tested it).

If you want to use it:
- download it;
- extract it, you will get a 'Filezilla3' folder;
- move this folder to your '/home/user/opt directory' (where "user" is your username);
- test it: open a terminal session in '/home/user/opt/FileZilla3/bin' directory, then launch FileZilla by typing "./filezilla" in the terminal;
- if your test is OK, launch your menu editing program and make a new launcher (type: Application; path: '/home/user/opt/FileZilla3/bin/filezilla' or '/home/user/opt/FileZilla3/bin/./filezilla').
- Now you can uninstall the distrib version of FileZilla using the packet manager (Synaptic).

Since you have done a manual install, don't forget to check for updates (in FileZilla help menu).

Regards,

MN
Level 3

Post by Delbruck »

That sounds great. Thank you for the detailed instructions. Simple enough

Return to “Software & Applications”