Computer won't wake after recent installs from Update Manager

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ablebaker
Level 3
Level 3

Computer won't wake after recent installs from Update Manager

Post by ablebaker »

Yesterday, I installed several new packages from the Update Manager, including a new kernel (4.15.0-151) and systemd. This morning the computer didn't wake and I had to resort to pulling the power plug and reinserting it to reboot. But instead of opening in Linux Mint, the computer booted into an initramsfs shell. Thinking that perhaps the recent installations from Update Manager had caused the problem, I used Timeshift to restore the system from a backup of a few days earlier, but the computer again booted into an initramsfs shell. An internet search led me to try running fsck and then rebooted which got me back to Mint. All seemed fine thereafter, until I put the computer in sleep mode and later tried to wake it. The earlier problem repeated itself. I have no idea what is causing this or how to fix it permanently. Linux Mint 19.3 has been reliably stable for me for months.

Here's the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxrz

Code: Select all

System:
  Host: Voyager1 Kernel: 4.15.0-151-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc 
  v: 7.5.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8 wm: muffin 4.4.4 dm: LightDM 1.26.0 
  Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic 
Machine:
  Type: Desktop Mobo: Intel model: NUC7i3BNB v: J22859-303 serial: <filter> 
  UEFI: Intel v: BNKBL357.86A.0067.2018.0814.1500 date: 08/14/2018 
CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i3-7100U bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
  arch: Kaby Lake rev: 9 L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
  flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 19200 
  Speed: 600 MHz min/max: 400/2400 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 700 2: 700 
  3: 700 4: 700 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 620 driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
  chip ID: 8086:5916 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
  resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 620 (KBL GT2) 
  v: 4.6 Mesa 20.0.8 compat-v: 3.0 direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
  bus ID: 00:1f.3 chip ID: 8086:9d71 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-151-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Intel Ethernet I219-V driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: f040 
  bus ID: 00:1f.6 chip ID: 8086:15d8 
  IF: eno1 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
  Device-2: Intel Wireless 8265 / 8275 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: f040 
  bus ID: 3a:00.0 chip ID: 8086:24fd 
  IF: wlp58s0 state: up mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 405.22 GiB used: 52.98 GiB (13.1%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Fujitsu model: MHZ2160BH FFS G1 size: 149.05 GiB 
  speed: 1.5 Gb/s serial: <filter> rev: 008C scheme: MBR 
  ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Crucial model: CT275MX300SSD4 size: 256.17 GiB 
  speed: 6.0 Gb/s serial: <filter> rev: R040 scheme: GPT 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 250.66 GiB used: 52.97 GiB (21.1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb2 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 52.5 C mobo: N/A 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Repos:
  No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list 
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list 
  1: deb http://packages.linuxmint.com tricia main upstream import backport
  2: deb http://mirror.math.ucdavis.edu/ubuntu bionic main restricted universe multiverse
  3: deb http://mirror.math.ucdavis.edu/ubuntu bionic-updates main restricted universe multiverse
  4: deb http://mirror.math.ucdavis.edu/ubuntu bionic-backports main restricted universe multiverse
  5: deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ bionic-security main restricted universe multiverse
  6: deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ bionic partner
Info:
  Processes: 219 Uptime: 36m Memory: 7.68 GiB used: 1.68 GiB (21.9%) 
  Init: systemd v: 237 runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.5.0 alt: 7 Shell: bash 
  v: 4.4.20 running in: gnome-terminal inxi: 3.0.32
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Computer won't wake after recent installs from Update Manager

Post by sleeper12 »

I have no idea of the cause, but you could see if the 5.4 kernel helps any. Should you need to return to the 4.15 kernel, you can do so in Grub, Advanced Options.
Geoff_P
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Geoff_P »

I know this is of no help at all but....

I have had the same problem on an Asus laptop with cinnamon 19.3. After some updates it booted to the intramfs terminal. It looked as though the recent systemd update was the problem, but I'm not convinced.
Like you I restored from a timeshift snapshot, which worked for two or three reboots, then failed to boot again.
I booted from a live usb installation disc and did the fsck trick, which reported it had fixed a long list of file system errors. Again when rebooting after that all seemed OK.
But the next boot failed.

I've now given up and done a clean install of cinnamon 20.2. All updates done, all OK so far.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

This morning the computer didn't wake and I had to resort to pulling the power plug
I would like to hear more about "the computer didn't wake". In my case, on this backup computer of mine, about 40% of the time when waking from suspend I get the password box in the middle of the screen, and the mouse works fine, except that clicking in the password box does not make it editable. So I can't enter the password. I have to push the on/off button to restart. 50% of the time it does wake up from suspend. 10% of less of the time I get the LM graphics, but no password box in the middle of the screen.
ablebaker
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ablebaker »

Geoff_P wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:03 pm I've now given up and done a clean install of cinnamon 20.2. All updates done, all OK so far.
After doing the "initramsfs fsck" routine 2-3 times after failures to wake from sleep, all seems to be working normally today. If this continues to be a problem, I'll consider trying an upgrade to 20.2
ablebaker
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ablebaker »

mikeflan wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:23 pm I would like to hear more about "the computer didn't wake".
When I pressed a key on the keyboard or moved the mouse, the monitor didn't turn on as it usually does. Pushing the computer's on/off power button had no effect. Everything was frozen until I pulled the power plug and then replugged it in the power strip.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

I have got exactly the same problem on July 22, on Mint 19.3 Mate, after a combined update of Kernel and systemd.

I could temporarily recover in read-only mode using timeshift, but was not able to fully recover, even with a manual fsck.

Since my '/home' was on a separate partition, I finally installed Mint 20.2 Mate using "other choices", then selecting to format '/' partition but not '/home' one.

Mint 20.2 install took ~ one hour and half (downloading ISO and burning it on a DVD on another computer, then installing it on my computer from DVD), and ~ 2 hours more to personalize it my way.

Your post gives me confidence in my SSD: my 1st diagnostic was a SSD problem (boot sector?), but I see that it is only a software installation problem.

Note that I have established a new personal record of use of Mint without system crash: 16 months (former record was 11 months)... :?

Mint 20.2 Mate works well, some programs are fresher than on Mint 19.3, though I have updated LibreOffice, FileZilla, Calibre, youtube-dl from their websites; Inkscape, Audacity, OBS-Studio from their "official" ppas; VLC and HandBrake from flathub.

I use Chromium, and I enjoy the fact it is compiled and offered by Mint, instead of snap version in Ubuntu.

Regards,

MN
Level 5

Post by Slowpoke47 »

I am a non-tech Mint Mate 19.2 user, 3 years now. Updates have always been basically no-drama events, one of the many welcome differences between Mint and my former Windows 7. The current list of updates offered, including a kernel update, has caused major and as yet unresolved problems for several technically experienced Mint users on the Ask Woody forum when rebooting after installation. Therefore I have been hesitant about going ahead with my own installations. https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/s ... st-2379813

These are the current updates offered. Is there an error of some kind in these updates? If so, how do we know if/when a correction is issued?
Screenshot at 2021-07-25 15-00-40.png
Terry5
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Terry5 »

Just to add another couple of instances of this.
My laptop froze completely, I thought it was my doing a massive paste by mistake in Open Office, I left the computer to run the paste, but when I came back it had frozen completely, no response to mouse or keyboard, even the clock had stopped. I then removed the power to let the battery run down on its own, computer is a laptop. I didn't want to switch the power off by holding the power switch down as I have trashed a hard disk that way, but that is another story. It then rebooted OK, however on the next power up it got as far as message saying "Booting in unsecure mode" and then froze. Powered down again and the next power up was OK and still going at the moment.

Daughter's laptop has frozen twice and failed to power up twice. Her laptop seemed to freeze after been left idle for a while, long enough for screensaver to kick in.

I know I have not submitted full details of computer etc as I just wanted to add another couple of instances to add to the pile that thinks it is an update that is causing this and not a hardware failure which was my first thought.

Terry5
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

These are the current updates offered. Is there an error of some kind in these updates?
Somebody with Timeshift running should install all but the 3 shown below.
Then take a snapshot.
Then install these 3 one at a time in this order, with a snapshot between each one (2 more snapshots).
  • initramfs-tools
  • systemd
  • Kernel
If no problems are encountered, then all is good. That is my thinking.

Return to “Software & Applications”