MP3Gain and GUI

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kylerickards
Level 4
Level 4

MP3Gain and GUI

Post by kylerickards »

Hi - as per my other posts I have updated Mint from 19.3 to 20.2 and am trying to work out by exception what is now missing. One of the things is MP3Gain and associated GUI which I used daily for my radio stuff. I have found the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=333624&p=1909627&h ... n#p1909627

Which has been helpful in that I now have MP3Gain working again. I also recognise your name phd21 from other audio help you have kindly given me in the past :)

Is there any GUI available that I am able to use or download and compile to get it working with MP3Gain or do I need to jump back to Windows to make the changes and then log back into Mint and broadcast that way? I never ever use the terminal for this sort of thing (the MP3gain stuff)

Thank you
Kyle
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: MP3Gain and GUI

Post by Moonstone Man »

kylerickards wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:12 pm Is there any GUI available ...
https://alternativeto.net/software/mp3g ... form=linux

I found that by searching for mp3gain gui.

There are other options, which you'll see when you do your own search, but be aware that they are nearly all Qt4, which is old. and any Qt application, irrespective of the version of Qt, will pull in a lot of Qt libraries, and that might not be to your liking, so take a timeshift snapshot before playing with any of that stuff.
kylerickards
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kylerickards »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:26 pm
kylerickards wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:12 pm Is there any GUI available ...
https://alternativeto.net/software/mp3g ... form=linux

I found that by searching for mp3gain gui.

There are other options, which you'll see when you do your own search, but be aware that they are nearly all Qt4, which is old. and any Qt application, irrespective of the version of Qt, will pull in a lot of Qt libraries, and that might not be to your liking, so take a timeshift snapshot before playing with any of that stuff.
Thank you - interestingly I did find those via that search last night before posting and the when I was trying to install the warning I was given was Dependency is not satisfiable: libwxgtk3.0-0v5 (>= 3.0.2+dfsg)

I was getting that on any of the ones I tried (so I did look online before asking here) - I will install that though and see how I get on. Thank you.

EDIT: On trying to install wxMP3Gain which was last updated in 2019, I am following the instructions but am now getting Package 'libwxgtk3.0-dev' has no installation candidate so I am stuck again. I can only find one QT4 version in a tar.gz file but the instructions seem to be for Windows
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

I found this: https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... .html#ID16

The GUI you are looking for died around 14 years ago. It's long gone, and it was as buggy all heck.
kylerickards
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kylerickards »

Thanks Kadaitcha - just checked and I have the MP3Gain package, it's the GUI that I was after. I did use The Wayback Machine and it seems at one point the AppImage for EasyMP3Gain was indeed there but the service has now closed in any case.

I did have a think and (don't know why I didn't realise this), QTGain is in the Software Manager, well, an older version. It seems less featured but it might do the job for what I am after so I will try that for tonight and see how I get on.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

I installed the eoan version of mp3gain from the PPA at https://launchpad.net/~flexiondotorg/+a ... untu/audio into my system and it works fine.

There is no focal version but the eoan version works with no problems; I just downloaded the .deb package from the PPA and installed it with

Code: Select all

sudo apt install ./mp3gain.deb
which is very easily done in terminal from the folder where the deb is sitting.

EDIT:
I see it is just the GUI you want but sorry to say that it is, or was, a waste of time and simply did not work for me.
vanadium
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vanadium »

In summary: there is at this time no GUI for mp3gain. Also mp3gain by itself is abandonware. Yet, it is (again) available in the standard Ubuntu software repositories. The latest version dates from 2009.

Also the mp3 format itself is old and frozen. Time to move on to ogg vorbis or opus.

Try to get over that fear of the terminal. It is by far the easiest way to mp3gain files in bulk. The right-click option "Open in Terminal" in your file manager is your friend here. It will open a terminal in the folder where your mp3 files live, ready for you to enter the command.
kylerickards
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kylerickards »

vanadium wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:33 am In summary: there is at this time no GUI for mp3gain. Also mp3gain by itself is abandonware. Yet, it is (again) available in the standard Ubuntu software repositories. The latest version dates from 2009.

Also the mp3 format itself is old and frozen. Time to move on to ogg vorbis or opus.

Try to get over that fear of the terminal. It is by far the easiest way to mp3gain files in bulk. The right-click option "Open in Terminal" in your file manager is your friend here. It will open a terminal in the folder where your mp3 files live, ready for you to enter the command.
Yes you're right, QTGain seems to have not done very much at all so I will use the terminal. Can I run it on a folder? Is it a permanent change or can I change it again? I rely on MP3 as I am not sure if my playout stuff uses ogg vorbis or opus but I can check that - I have thousands though so I don't really want to convert all of them but moving forward I can certainly get new things in that format.
vanadium
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vanadium »

No, you certainly should not convert your existing mp3's.
Can I run it on a folder?
You have been give the link in the webpage of Pjotr (link provided by Kadaitcha Man), but be careful. That is only suitable for a random collection of mp3 files. It will search the current folder *and* all subfolders, and apply individual correction to all mp3 files it finds.

You do not want that for albums: you do not want the relative volume be changed between tracks. For albums, you indeed want to do the correction only for the files of the album within a single folder, and with the "-a" option instead of the "-r" option. Then the command is simply

mp3gain -a -k *.mp3
If the single folder contains unrelated music files, you can use the -r ("radio") option. This adjusts the volume of each file independently, whereas the -a ("album") option calculates the overall volume for all files together, and adjusts all files the same way.

[/quote]Is it a permanent change or can I change it again?[/quote]

To some extent the change can be reverted: with the "-r" option, mp3gain changes the actual audio data, but it includes an undo tag that indicates how to restore the frames to their initial volume. As long as the tag is not lost, the change can be undone. Without the "-r" option, i.e., using the system of replaygain tags, nothing happens to the actual audio data.

To undo, use the -u (undo) option, as in

mp3gain -u *.mp3
kylerickards
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kylerickards »

vanadium wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:24 am No, you certainly should not convert your existing mp3's.
Can I run it on a folder?
You have been give the link in the webpage of Pjotr (link provided by Kadaitcha Man), but be careful. That is only suitable for a random collection of mp3 files. It will search the current folder *and* all subfolders, and apply individual correction to all mp3 files it finds.

You do not want that for albums: you do not want the relative volume be changed between tracks. For albums, you indeed want to do the correction only for the files of the album within a single folder, and with the "-a" option instead of the "-r" option. Then the command is simply

mp3gain -a -k *.mp3
If the single folder contains unrelated music files, you can use the -r ("radio") option. This adjusts the volume of each file independently, whereas the -a ("album") option calculates the overall volume for all files together, and adjusts all files the same way.
Is it a permanent change or can I change it again?[/quote]

To some extent the change can be reverted: with the "-r" option, mp3gain changes the actual audio data, but it includes an undo tag that indicates how to restore the frames to their initial volume. As long as the tag is not lost, the change can be undone. Without the "-r" option, i.e., using the system of replaygain tags, nothing happens to the actual audio data.

To undo, use the -u (undo) option, as in

mp3gain -u *.mp3
[/quote]

Thanks for this.

Just so I am totally clear and don't mess it up, I make a safety copy of the files for my show anyway in a folder - if I open the folder containing show music in the terminal and then run

mp3gain -r -k *.mp3
Will that do what I want? I am not sure what the -k switch is? How do I specify the volume to -0.89? (Sorry if these are stupid questions but I would rather look an idiot than not ask and make a mess of everything)

Thank you
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

See if there is a manual page by typing this in a terminal:

man mp3gain
There may not be a manual page. If not try:

mp3gain --help
sarge816
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sarge816 »

Easymp3gain is available on the snap store: https://snapcraft.io/easymp3gain

I'm on 19.3, but works fine here. Might be worth a try.
kylerickards
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kylerickards »

Thank you both
kylerickards
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kylerickards »

Well I went through the man mp3gain page which was very useful and gave me some pointers to other resources but using the terminal to do what I want is beyond me at this point - I cannot work out the maths to just get tracks to play at -0.89. This is why I was reliant on a GUI. The reading in general was interesting as there were some things I did not know about.

As said above, it's something I will have to learn to live with as it's an old format, or jump back into Windows as and when needed, or timeshift back to 19.3 Mint (which may not be a bad thing as I am having some various issues with 20.2 in general).

Thanks again for everyone's help, appreciated.

Kyle
vanadium
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vanadium »

Just follow the advise. Follow the command of Pjotr if you want to treat any mp3 file in the current folder and in subfolders, follow my command if you want to treat mp3 files in a single folder only. I wonder why you are now suddenly seeking to change the reference value. That can be done with options - mikeflan showed you how to display the help page.
kylerickards
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kylerickards »

vanadium wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:07 am Just follow the advise. Follow the command of Pjotr if you want to treat any mp3 file in the current folder and in subfolders, follow my command if you want to treat mp3 files in a single folder only. I wonder why you are now suddenly seeking to change the reference value. That can be done with options - mikeflan showed you how to display the help page.
As above I make a safety copy of the files I will be using in one folder, so using your command, I did follow mike's instruction hence I got the man page. I am confused about why you think I am "suddenly" changing the reference value? In the GUI, I used to be able to select the volume level which was usually the default of -0.89, I cannot see how I do this using the terminal without trying to working out the mathematical model and values? That is why is was easier for me to use a GUI as I suspect it was/is for a lot of people.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

kylerickards wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:23 am ... was easier for me to use a GUI as I suspect it was/is for a lot of people.
I suspect you're quite right. I took a look at the online man page for mp3gain. It's very sparse on detail so you need to know your audio. However I did find this page: http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/faq.php and read this:

Go to "Options -> Advanced..." and make sure the "Enable Maximizing features" option is checked
Set the "Target Normal Volume" to 92.0 dB 
That clearly implies a GUI, so I looked a bit more and found this: http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/download.php

If you get desperate for a GUI, you could always install VirtualBox, via download or ppa (https://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/virtu ... rg_contrib), not from the repositories because it's old, install Windows and make your modifications there.
kylerickards
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kylerickards »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:39 am
kylerickards wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:23 am ... was easier for me to use a GUI as I suspect it was/is for a lot of people.
I suspect you're quite right. I took a look at the online man page for mp3gain. It's very sparse on detail so you need to know your audio. However I did find this page: http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/faq.php and read this:

Go to "Options -> Advanced..." and make sure the "Enable Maximizing features" option is checked
Set the "Target Normal Volume" to 92.0 dB 
That clearly implies a GUI, so I looked a bit more and found this: http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/download.php

If you get desperate for a GUI, you could always install VirtualBox, via download or ppa (https://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/virtu ... rg_contrib), not from the repositories because it's old, install Windows and make your modifications there.
Thanks Kadaitcha. I honestly wasn't expecting anyone to do any of the graft for me but the man pages just completely threw me when it started talking about integers and working out values etc. I'd never push any music to the limit (without clipping) as is the trend these days as I've always believed less is more, I know that a lot of the internet stations just crank the volume up but I've never done it and try to stick with the guidelines.

The virtualmachine is a good idea, I am lucky in that I do still have my Windows set up as dual boot so could do it that way if needed however (as per another thread I have just made), this whole thing might be a bit redundant (sorry, although I always enjoy your advice and help!) as I have just timeshifted back to 19.3 about 30 mins ago for reasons I won't bore you with in this thread so I still have access to EasyMP3Gain at the moment. I think for what I am doing, radio stuff etc, even though 19.3 isn't a long term release I will have to stick with it as I know it works and it's reliable whereas I seem to be running into more problems than it's worth at the minute with 20.2.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

kylerickards wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:00 am ... I always enjoy your advice and help!
You are probably the only one. Perhaps I'm slipping. Perhaps I should buy a lottery ticket.

Good luck :D
kylerickards
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kylerickards »

Well by way of an update, well, not really an update I guess, I am still having to load my audio files into either my Windows set up or my 19.3 installation to level the soundfiles to ensure they are not super loud since most audio seems hell bent on having things at levels of 96 or higher... Madness.

Return to “Software & Applications”