Looking for someone who has successfully used OneNote with wine and is willing to help me set it up

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
duke_33
Level 1
Level 1

Looking for someone who has successfully used OneNote with wine and is willing to help me set it up

Post by duke_33 »

I did my best, tried out different things unsuccessfully to set it up on wine, and as well tried most linux alternatives to onenote. I've also published this question on Wine forums, without success. Thanks and have a great weekend!

Here is the link to my post on Wine forums. https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35365
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Looking for someone who has successfully used OneNote with wine and is willing to help me set it up

Post by Hoser Rob »

This the onenote page from the excellent Wine app database, which should always be looked at for stuff like this:

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=33087

I'll try and save you some time by suggesting that, looking at that, it doesn't look like anyone's had any success with it since 2007.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
duke_33
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Looking for someone who has successfully used OneNote with wine and is willing to help me set it up

Post by duke_33 »

Thanks, of course I took a look at it!.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

duke_33 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:27 am Thanks, of course I took a look at it!.
If you really must have OneNote, run a virtual machine and install Windows to it.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I thought I would post the few alternative to OneNote - Ha - there are 95 alternatives just on Linux!
https://alternativeto.net/software/micr ... form=linux
I guess Joplin is at the top of the list.

It's amazing I am hearing about OneNote. We actually used it at work - I guess back in 1997 or so. It was a behemoth.
duke_33
Level 1
Level 1

Post by duke_33 »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:29 am
duke_33 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:27 am Thanks, of course I took a look at it!.
If you really must have OneNote, run a virtual machine and install Windows to it.
Thanks for your reply, I already did it, I have an amd a6, running w10 on a vm renders my computer useless.
duke_33
Level 1
Level 1

Post by duke_33 »

mikeflan wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:42 pm I thought I would post the few alternative to OneNote - Ha - there are 95 alternatives just on Linux!
https://alternativeto.net/software/micr ... form=linux
I guess Joplin is at the top of the list.

It's amazing I am hearing about OneNote. We actually used it at work - I guess back in 1997 or so. It was a behemoth.
As I said, I've tried most of the alternatives. The thing is that for instance, Joplin has a terrible hierarchy tree, and just placing and image around wherever you want is not possible, or at the very least, not intuitive, you can't drag and place it wherever you want. I appreciate your reply, but I did not ask for alternatives and I stated that. OneNote is IMO a great app, has every feature I need and is the only one I miss/could not replace from windows.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

RollyShed wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:11 am Is this link of any use?
https://www.tecmint.com/install-microso ... -in-linux/
Nice find.
duke_33
Level 1
Level 1

Post by duke_33 »

RollyShed wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:11 am Is this link of any use?
https://www.tecmint.com/install-microso ... -in-linux/
Thanks, I've already tried that, it is just a wrapper around the OneNote web version, which is a crippled version.
Kendoori
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kendoori »

My current strategy is to use Office 365 apps in a browser without trying to run their native versions on Mint. Some functionality is lost, but the core stuff is there and it's clean and easy to do. One can also turn any of the individual apps into a web app using Mint's Web app manager. OneNote will work fine this way.
duke_33
Level 1
Level 1

Post by duke_33 »

Kendoori wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:51 pm My current strategy is to use Office 365 apps in a browser without trying to run their native versions on Mint. Some functionality is lost, but the core stuff is there and it's clean and easy to do. One can also turn any of the individual apps into a web app using Mint's Web app manager. OneNote will work fine this way.
Thanks, I've already used the web app and it sucks. Guess it is the best option I have.
Kendoori
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kendoori »

I have been using Linux since 2008, but have had to live in a world that often requires some element of Windows applications to remain in my life. Yes, there are alternatives, but in many cases, they just don't match up. The web application world has made things much better, but I find I still need Windows apps sometimes. I've thrown a lot of energy over the years at this. I even went back to Windows for a couple of years.

Some questions...

1) Have you tried CrossOver (https://www.codeweavers.com/crossover/). It's worth a try if you haven't. Not free, but you can get a trial and if it works, it will be worth it

2) Have you considered a spare laptop? I salvaged a 2nd gen Thinkpad X1 from my mother. I have it sitting on my desk in sleep mode. If I need Windows, I either RDP to it, or use NoMachine to control it (lid closed. Use WakeOnLan to wake it up). You get nearly native level performance and you can easily control it using your Mint keyboard/mouse/monitor (if you use RDP you can set the resolution to whatever you want, even if the laptop screen is low res). I sometimes needs the deeper features of Office (especially for PowerPoint), and that's how I do it. A $100 old Thinkpad would do the trick.

Others suggest VMs, and I regularly used VirtualBox over the years for this.

3) Have you played with Joplin? Different structure than OneNote, but I completely moved over my stuff to Joplin, and sync it with my Android phone, and my iPad. There's a really strong user community, lots of plugins, continuous development, and excellent performance. I had 10+ years of Evernote stuff that I moved over, but you would be able to do the same with OneNote.

4) Microsoft is about to release Windows 365 Cloud on August 2nd which will allow you to run full-blown hosted machine on Linux. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microso ... -cloud-pc/
duke_33
Level 1
Level 1

Post by duke_33 »

Thanks for your thorough reply. I'll give a try to CrossOverm, know about it but, I was avoiding paying for, will try Windows 365 Cloud. Jopllin is more like Evernote than Oenote IMO. Besides for some reason, in Joplin it is incredibly hard to position a picture wherever you want, for some reason you can't just drag it and place it, cherrytree has the same behavior and I'm amazed about the absence of such a basic functionality, wish someone could give me a good reason why it is not there.

Return to “Software & Applications”