[SOLVED] i can't open login window manager to mange users or write /create files without using root

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lhqution
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] i can't open login window manager to mange users or write /create files without using root

Post by lhqution »

What happened :
i had issues with login loop and broken lightdm packages but i manged to fix them but after that i can't write or create files without using root plus i can't open login window to manage users.

The issues:
1- can't open login window to mange users from administration
2- can't write /create files without using root

What should i do ?

-
Last edited by lhqution on Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: i can't open login window manager or write /create files without using root

Post by Moonstone Man »

lhqution wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:44 am What should i do ?
Rescue whatever important files you can by copying them off the machine then:

1) Restore from a timeshift snapshot or
2) Restore from a disk image or other backup,
3) Clean install.

You may ask why it is so. It is so because we have absolutely no idea what other damage you may have wrought on your installation.

And yes, that's exactly the same as what you were told in the other thread before you created your dog's breakfast Frankenstein desktop.

viewtopic.php?p=2043320#p2043320

You ought to aware that your fruitless endeavour to repair your system after you train-wrecked it is being done at the expense of anyone willing to give you their free time for goodness knows how long while you continue to uncover the fruits of your unwise actions.You deleted the desktop, broke the window manager, installed MATE, then installed Cinnamon, and for some reason the tessa package is asking to be installed and throwing dependency errors.

Pardon me, and no disrespect, but I'm telling it like it is.
Last edited by Moonstone Man on Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
lhqution
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lhqution »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:47 am You may ask why it is so. It is so because we have absolutely no idea what other damage you may have wrought on your installation.
And yes, that's exactly the same as what you were told in the other thread before you created your dog's breakfast Frankenstein desktop.
you are wrong as i told you i managed to fix the issues with login and cinnamon without reinstalling Linux and now i am using Linux Mint to post this post. that should be count. you just picked the easier solution and posted it.

and for the write permission issue i am waiting for someone that knows better than me to help with it and also i will try myself to fix it and if i managed to solve it i will mark it solved and post what i did to solve it .

Thanks
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

lhqution wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:59 am you are wrong as i told you i managed to fix the issues with login and cinnamon without reinstalling Linux and now i am using Linux Mint
You are not using Linux Mint, you are using your very own, self-created, train-wrecked dog's breakfast Frankenstein.

I'm out. Good luck, and lots of it. You're going to need it.
lhqution
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lhqution »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: You are not using Linux Mint, you are using your very own, self-created, train-wrecked dog's breakfast Frankenstein.
yes i am using my Linux Mint that is the main point after fixing the login loop and cinnamon issue .
Kadaitcha Man wrote: I'm out. Good luck, and lots of it. You're going to need it.
for this issue i think it can be fixed by changing authority or something by the terminal for the main user but i don't want to mess with it right now and waiting for someone knows better than me with Linux to help with it because i learned my lesson to be more careful with the terminal.
and if i manged to solve it i will mark it solved.

Thanks.
lhqution
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Re: i can't open login window manager to mange users or write /create files without using root

Post by lhqution »

-i fixed it, as i remember by using this code

Code: Select all

sudo chown username:username /path/path/*

Code: Select all

chown username:username .Xauthority
not sure if that was necessary. and by changing the permissions and owner from proprieties manually when it was enabled to be changed.

-for the" login window manager issue" solved by installing slick-greeter

Return to “Software & Applications”