Display Brightness

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shdawson
Level 1
Level 1

Display Brightness

Post by shdawson »

Hi,

Question about display brightness, please.

I am running my laptop. I unplug it. The brightness goes way low. I must go into Power Management, brightness, and adjust it there. This condition has not been the case in previous Mint versions. How do I set the laptop to maintain brightness level when on battery, please?

Code: Select all

stephen@LENOVO-SSD ~ $ cat /etc/linuxmint/info
RELEASE=20.1
CODENAME=ulyssa
EDITION="Cinnamon"
DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa"
DESKTOP=Gnome
TOOLKIT=GTK
NEW_FEATURES_URL=https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_ulyssa_cinnamon_whatsnew.php
RELEASE_NOTES_URL=https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_ulyssa_cinnamon.php
USER_GUIDE_URL=https://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php
GRUB_TITLE=Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon

stephen@LENOVO-SSD ~ $ uname -a
Linux LENOVO-SSD 5.8.0-63-generic #71~20.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jul 15 17:46:08 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
stephen@LENOVO-SSD ~ $

Thanks,
-SHD
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Display Brightness

Post by SMG »

Pleases supply the full inxi requested in Section 5 of READ: How To Get Help! and click </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply and then place your cursor between the code markers and paste the results of the command between the code markers [code]Results[/code].

Display Brightness can be a function of the graphics driver and or kernel. Kernel recommendations are often based on hardware, but we do not know what your computer has.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
shdawson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by shdawson »

Respectfully, your post is silly.

I will leave it as is.

Take care.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

shdawson,

the only silly statement, which I spot, is your reply to user SMG.
SMG has requested your Linux Mint system information. It is a normal step to request a user's system information, whenever a technical problem has been reported. So nothing silly about SMG's request.

As a matter of fact, irrespective of the precise Mint release, which you use, you should be able to configure the default brightness when running on battery in the power management dialogues once, and it should be remembered.

Sadly, as I am sitting in front of a desktop machine right now, I do not see any battery related options on this machine. So I cannot share any useful screenshot right now.

It seems that changed brightness is not remembered on your system. One reason might be that some files are not owned by your Linux Mint user, but by user root very likely.

You can check whether incorrect ownership might be the cause of your problem by executing the following terminal commandline under your normal user account:

find $HOME ! -user $USER
This commandline should come back empty. In case it displays one or more lines of output, please, share these lines with us. Else, please let us know that the command displayed nothing.

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

karlchen wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:31 amAs a matter of fact, irrespective of the precise Mint release, which you use, you should be able to configure the default brightness when running on battery in the power management dialogues once, and it should be remembered.

Sadly, as I am sitting in front of a desktop machine right now, I do not see any battery related options on this machine. So I cannot share any useful screenshot right now.
Here is the one from LM20.2. I see the same options on my laptop regardless of whether or not I have the battery plugged in, so it seems it either dims on battery or it does not, but it should only dim when the screen is inactive.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Software & Applications”