What can I remove from /var/lib/flatpak/repo/objects

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
audio2u
Level 1
Level 1

What can I remove from /var/lib/flatpak/repo/objects

Post by audio2u »

Hi all,
My system has started throwing warnings about being down to 800 MB of free space on my /root partition, and it seems that the disk hog is this folder:
/var/lib/flatpak/repo/objects
....with almost 8 GB of data.
The objects folder is filled with hundreds of other folders (named with just 2 alphanumeric digits), and they all seem to be filled with random graphical objects.
Do they belong to one particular app? Or a range of apps?
Even the oldest modified date on one of these subfolders is just a week ago.
Can I delete anything without penalty? Will I break anything?
I did a google search, but didn't manage to find anything particularly illuminating about what is generating all these files.
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ajgringo619

Re: What can I remove from /var/lib/flatpak/repo/objects

Post by ajgringo619 »

If flatpak list returns anything, then you have some installed in that directory.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

audio2u wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:19 pm /var/lib/flatpak/repo/objects
sudo flatpak repair
audio2u
Level 1
Level 1

Post by audio2u »

Tried "sudo flatpak repair" but it did not remove anything from the objects folder, nor recover any disk space.

As for list, this is what I have apparently:

Code: Select all

Discord                                 com.discordapp.Discord                       0.0.15   stable system
OBS Studio                              com.obsproject.Studio                        27.0.1   stable system
Scribus                                 net.scribus.Scribus                          1.5.7    stable system
hugin                                   net.sourceforge.Hugin                        2020.0.0 stable system
Audacity                                org.audacityteam.Audacity                    3.0.2    stable system
Codecs                                  org.audacityteam.Audacity.Codecs                      stable system
Freedesktop Platform                    org.freedesktop.Platform                     20.08.14 20.08  system
default                                 org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.default                   19.08  system
Mesa                                    org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.default          21.1.4   20.08  system
nvidia-455-38                           org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.nvidia-455-38             1.4    system
nvidia-460-32-03                        org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.nvidia-460-32-03          1.4    system
nvidia-460-39                           org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.nvidia-460-39             1.4    system
nvidia-460-56                           org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.nvidia-460-56             1.4    system
nvidia-460-73-01                        org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.nvidia-460-73-01          1.4    system
nvidia-460-80                           org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.nvidia-460-80             1.4    system
nvidia-460-91-03                        org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.nvidia-460-91-03          1.4    system
FFmpeg extension                        org.freedesktop.Platform.ffmpeg                       1.6    system
openh264                                org.freedesktop.Platform.openh264            2.1.0    2.0    system
GNU Image Manipulation Program          org.gimp.GIMP                                2.10.24  stable system
GIMP User Manual                        org.gimp.GIMP.Manual                         2.10     2.10   system
GNOME Application Platform version 3.36 org.gnome.Platform                                    3.36   system
GNOME Application Platform version 3.38 org.gnome.Platform                                    3.38   system
GNOME Application Platform version 40   org.gnome.Platform                                    40     system
Mint-Y Gtk Theme                        org.gtk.Gtk3theme.Mint-Y                              3.22   system
KDE Application Platform version master org.kde.Platform                                      5.11   system
KDE Application Platform                org.kde.Platform                                      5.15   system
PulseAudio Volume Control               org.pulseaudio.pavucontrol                   4.0      stable system
VLC                                     org.videolan.VLC                             3.0.16   stable system
Last edited by karlchen on Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added [code] tags where appropriate
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

audio2u wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:38 pm Tried "sudo flatpak repair" but it did not remove anything from the objects folder
That means that the all the data in the objects directory is needed for the flatpaks that you've listed. If this were my problem, I'd go through the list and work out what flatpaks I could live without or no longer want then remove them. Next, I would look for PPAs that provided up to date versions of the native applications. For example, I have OBS, GIMP, Audacity, nvidia, pavucontrol and vlc, which are all in your list, but mine are native.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Along with @Kadaitcha Man's suggestions, you don't need all of those nvidia* packages except for nvidia-460-91-03. For whatever reason, this continues to be a problem with flatpak (keeping drivers around that aren't being used). One other thing to try is flatpak uninstall --unused, just in case there's an unneeded runtime taking up space.

Now, for the future, you need to take a serious look at your partition layout. If you decide to continue using flatpaks and your /home partition has lots of space, you might be better off moving your flatpaks there. You will need to reinstall them all, unfortunately. Let me know if you're interested and I'll walk you through it.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Along with @Kadaitcha Man's and @ajgringo619 suggestions, I recommend using the Scribus AppImage. I started using this AppImage when 1.5.1 was release - it has been rock-solid, and I use it almost exclusively. I also have Scribus 1.4.6 installed on my system for backwards compatibility with earlier versions of Scribus - the AppImage has never interfered with the installed version, and vice versa.

https://www.scribus.net/downloads/unstable-branch/
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
audio2u
Level 1
Level 1

Post by audio2u »

Thanks guys!
I've done a bit of cleanup and recovered some space.
If I need more assistance, I'll sing out!
Cheers.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

/var/lib/flatpak/repo/objects
FWIW, my '/var/lib/flatpak/repo/objects' contains 12.7 GB, and I plan to leave it alone.

flatpak list returns this:

Code: Select all

$ flatpak list
Ref                                                      Options                                                                                                                                                                              
com.github.hluk.copyq/x86_64/stable                      system,current                                                                                                                                                                       
com.itopia.client/x86_64/stable                          system,current                                                                                                                                                                       
io.atom.Atom/x86_64/stable                               system,current                                                                                                                                                                       
net.codeindustry.MasterPDFEditor/x86_64/stable           system,current                                                                                                                                                                       
org.avidemux.Avidemux/x86_64/stable                      system,current                                                                                                                                                                       
org.freefilesync.FreeFileSync/x86_64/stable              system,current                                                                                                                                                                       
org.gnome.Genius/x86_64/stable                           system,current                                                                                                                                                                       
org.ksnip.ksnip/x86_64/stable                            system,current                                                                                                                                                                       
org.libreoffice.LibreOffice/x86_64/stable                system,current                                                                                                                                                                       
org.opencpn.OpenCPN/x86_64/stable                        system,current                                                                                                                                                                       
org.qgis.qgis/x86_64/lts                                 system,current                                                                                                                                                                       
org.remmina.Remmina/x86_64/stable                        system,current                                                                                                                                                                       
us.zoom.Zoom/x86_64/stable                               system,current                                                                                                                                                                       
org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.default/x86_64/19.08         system,runtime                                                                                                                                                                       
org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.default/x86_64/20.08         system,runtime                                                                                                                                                                       
org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.nvidia-430-26/x86_64/1.4     system,runtime                                                                                                                                                                       
org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.nvidia-430-50/x86_64/1.4     system,runtime                                                                                                                                                                       
org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.nvidia-440-100/x86_64/1.4    system,runtime                                                                                                                                                                       
org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.nvidia-440-59/x86_64/1.4     system,runtime                                                                                                                                                                       
org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.nvidia-450-102-04/x86_64/1.4 system,runtime                                                                                                                                                                       
org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.nvidia-450-119-03/x86_64/1.4 system,runtime                                                                                                                                                                       
org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.nvidia-450-66/x86_64/1.4     system,runtime                                                                                                                                                                       
org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.nvidia-450-80-02/x86_64/1.4  system,runtime                                                                                                                                                                       
org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.nvidia-460-80/x86_64/1.4     system,runtime                                                                                                                                                                       
org.freedesktop.Platform.ffmpeg-full/x86_64/20.08        system,runtime                                                                                                                                                                       
org.freedesktop.Platform.ffmpeg/x86_64/1.6               system,runtime,eol=The Freedesktop 1.6 runtime is no longer supported and does not receive security updates. Please ask your application developer to migrate to a supported runtime.
org.freedesktop.Platform.html5-codecs/x86_64/18.08       system,runtime,eol=The Freedesktop SDK 18.08 runtime is no longer supported as of 31th August 2020. Please ask your application developer to migrate to a supported platform.        
org.freedesktop.Platform.openh264/x86_64/2.0             system,runtime                                                                                                                                                                       
org.freedesktop.Platform/x86_64/1.6                      system,runtime,eol=The Freedesktop 1.6 runtime is no longer supported and does not receive security updates. Please ask your application developer to migrate to a supported runtime.
org.freedesktop.Platform/x86_64/18.08                    system,runtime,eol=The Freedesktop SDK 18.08 runtime is no longer supported as of 31th August 2020. Please ask your application developer to migrate to a supported platform.        
org.freedesktop.Platform/x86_64/19.08                    system,runtime                                                                                                                                                                       
org.freedesktop.Platform/x86_64/20.08                    system,runtime                                                                                                                                                                       
org.freedesktop.Sdk/x86_64/19.08                         system,runtime                                                                                                                                                                       
org.freedesktop.Sdk/x86_64/20.08                         system,runtime                                                                                                                                                                       
org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.34                           system,runtime,eol=The GNOME 3.34 runtime is no longer supported as of 14th August 2020. Please ask your application developer to migrate to a supported platform.                   
org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.38                           system,runtime                                                                                                                                                                       
org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/40                             system,runtime                                                                                                                                                                       
org.gtk.Gtk3theme.Mint-Y/x86_64/3.22                     system,runtime                                                                                                                                                                       
org.kde.Platform/x86_64/5.12                             system,runtime                                                                                                                                                                       
org.kde.Platform/x86_64/5.14                             system,runtime                                                                                                                                                                       
org.kde.Platform/x86_64/5.15                             system,runtime 

Return to “Software & Applications”