Linux Mint 19 keeps hanging and only gett access to my keyboard after hard reboot

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nick_[1]
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint 19 keeps hanging and only gett access to my keyboard after hard reboot

Post by nick_[1] »

Hello. I have been experiencing this problem of my Linux mint 19 freezing every time like I would start my PC after like 30 minutes, my PC freezes, and my keyboard seemingly also freezes because I can't reboot by pressing keys on my keyboard but by hard rebooting.

There was a time also as I restarted, I was in a screen display about "initramfs", I tried to fix it a couple of times by running the "fsck" scan but I don't think it was successful despite my PC turning on well. I tried to fix it by running the fsck fix codes in the terminal but I couldn't unmount /dev/sda5.

And again there was a time a popup came saying "Cinnamon crashed, I'm running in fallback mode", I restarted my cinnamon and returned my panel to default settings but that didn't help fix my system from freezing, maybe that I fixed the "cinnamon crash" issue.

I tried using "resetter" to return everything to factory reset but wouldn't work in my system. Is there a way I can format the /dev/sda5 file system partition(remembering I can only forcefully unmount the partition only if I'm in the root user, but currently I can run "sudo fsck /dev/sda5")? Or scan and fix errors found in the system?

Any ideas of how I can stop my system from hanging because it happened just the other day and the last package I installed was the opera browser and even after getting rid of it the problem still persists. Please advise. Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Linux Mint 19 keeps hanging and only gett access to my keyboard after hard reboot

Post by kc1di »

If there is someway you can get to a terminal please issue this command and post the results back here.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxzr
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Return to “Software & Applications”