Password Manager Security problems? or Not?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Password Manager Security problems? or Not?

Post by AZgl1800 »

Kris345 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:04 pm Why does lastpass cost you. Free for me. Maybe some feature I don't use? Had it forever. I do have my passwords collected, and detached from the mainframe, but FAR easier to let lastpass autofill. Been totally secure for me.

Hell of a mess. Not much chance on a bike, especially against that. Lucky you are alive. Thanks for sharing.

Am surprised but pleased that Tmobile fixed it for you. Good.
I used to have to pay for Lastpass, because I had 3 devices Registered to it.

However, yesterday I got a "new to me" Smart Phone, and when I registered Lastpass on it, it flagged me asking if this is a device that will replace a previous device??

so, I followed their link to my account, had to login to prove I am me, complete with Email Verification,
and wow!!

I found two older phones that used to be registered, and I just blatantly assumed that when I moved the SIM to the new phone, all was forgotten and well.

Nope, not so.

I deleted all of the other Devices except for my new phone, and the account changed from Premium to Basic....
works for me, it is free again.

Since the Semi-truck plowed through my brain back in 2008, I sometimes get tricked by simple things...
locally, I let my daughter handle all of the shopping chores, much easier for me.
I have also put her on all of my financial accounts as a co-owner, so that when my ticker stops, the Public Utilities will continue to be paid just like always.....

those Public utilties, all require a new Deposit if a family member takes over their parent's account..... that is so friggin stupid, and I put a stop to that 2 years ago.. at 78, who knows when the Lord is calling me home?

Accident 94SE.jpg
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Kris345
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kris345 »

And just to spite everyone you will live to 110! I know your type! :mrgreen: Good planning though. Make life easy for your daughter!

Yeah, when I get a "new" smartphone I buy used - ebay. Much less expensive and easy return if DOA. Up until a year ago I used to then flash them with a custom ROM or some such but just got tired of it - too much hassle. This one's a LG Stylo 4+. Previous ones were motorolas which for some reason all buried 4 rings before they would start ringing on my phone. (a couple times and then go to voicemail) This one's fine. Rings right away. (I always test via skype.) I like samsung's but for some reason their antennas are unable to get out of my apartment with the new windows. (they won't let me put a pass-through antenna on the window - it would probably fall off anyway, which is probably their point...) Had them long ago and got one recently just to test and had to return it.

Good that you got those other phones off lastpass. google is always hounding me on that. I suppose I should go clean things up but I hate to jump through their hoops.

Be well!
-- ThinkPad P15s-Gen1-20T4-002KUS, i7-10510U, UEFI/GPT, 16GB, Sammy 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2.
- others -
-laserjets: HP M254dw color, HP P1606dn. Epson Perfection 2480 flatbed scanner -
newlyminted7
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newlyminted7 »

AZgl1500, that looks like it was one heck on an accident, sorry to hear you went through that. At least you survived! And please understand that I meant no insult or offense to you, there was no way I could have known about your memory situation. And, again, my point about committing a password or two to memory wasn't even my main point. I was just trying to outline some pros, cons, and other asepcts of computer security that some people may not immediately think about - it was meant in good spirits, in an effort to help. I understand that services like LastPass can be a useful for some people, especially in your case. All the best, blessings, and take good care.
SimonPeter
Level 5
Level 5

Re: MODERATORS ---- DELETE THIS THREAD PLEASE

Post by SimonPeter »

AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:13 am BUT be mindful of us very senior citizens who don't have a brain anymore.... Penske stole it from me.

Accident 94SE.jpg
AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:23 pm Third, I was hit by a Semi truck back in 2008 which destroyed my short term memory.
IF, it was 35 years ago, I can remember it.
IF, it was in the last 5 years, it is vaporized within 15 seconds...

I can't even remember a phone number, long enough to type it on different application.
Sorry to hear that you had an accident that weakened your memory.
Thank God that you survived it.

I had not known that you went through such a bitter experience. I'm sorry if my posts were a bit too much.
Youngsters (including me) have much less experience with life than the elders have.

I was just saying that FOSS (Free and Open Source) is better than closed-source, and that closed-source software can contain almost anything that we don't have an idea about, while we can see and verify what is contained in FOSS.

BTW: You can consider Bitwarden (FOSS). With that, you can remember all your passwords and store them in the 'cloud', without worrying about your memorizing it.

Personally, I use KeepassXC (FOSS) and backup my encrypted password database to the 'cloud'.

Return to “Software & Applications”