Nextcloud - preventing suspend

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sickofthesea
Level 1
Level 1

Nextcloud - preventing suspend

Post by sickofthesea »

Hi,

Maybe wrong place, but thought I'd ask here first. Just got my hands on a Lenovo P50 at around the same time as 20.2 was released so installed the cinnamon edition.

Everything is working well but got stumped on a problem suspending. It would not properly suspend. It would go to a black screen and not suspend, sometimes it would allow me back to the login screen and other times I would have to hold the power button to shutdown. I tried everything I could after scouring these forums and the internet. It improved a lot after I upgraded to the 5.8.0-63 and then I started seeing these messages - Freezing of tasks failed after 20.007 seconds (1 tasks refusing to freeze, wq_busy=0):

So after running

Code: Select all

dmesg -T|grep Freez -A4
from a console I found the culprit and it was the nextcloud desktop client I use to sync to my nextcloud-pi setup. So I killed all nextcloud instances and bang - suspend works properly.

So this is a bug but who is responsible? I'm leaning towards the nextcloud client as it's a bit weird with cinnamon and other gtk3 desktops anyway (running in the background but indicator icon takes forever to appear). Or is it a kernel bug or a cinnamon bug?

Thanks all.

Martin
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sickofthesea
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Nextcloud - preventing suspend

Post by sickofthesea »

OK. I think I've sorted it. After a bit of digging it seems the only official & supported release of the nextcloud desktop client is the AppImage from their github page - https://github.com/nextcloud/desktop I'm running AppImage version 3.2.4 (at the time of writing) and suspend works no problem.

The problem came from the Flatpak version in the Linux Mint Software Manager Store.

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks.

Martin
sickofthesea
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sickofthesea »

The graphical element also appears fairly quickly instead of taking 30 mins to an hour to appear on the screen.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

IMO,

Suspend and Hibernate are the worst evil ever invented for PCs.
It was invented because in the Olden Daze, HHDs and Memory and CPUs were very slow.

I avoid using them like the Plague.
I have Lid Closed set to Nothing and it works like a charm.

today, with 16gB RAM, 4gHz CPU, and SSDs; everything happens "now"
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Software & Applications”