A "WINE" for MacOS?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gittist
Level 3
Level 3

A "WINE" for MacOS?

Post by gittist »

I keep an old computer with Windows 10 around for one reason only and that is to update our Garmin GPS units. A few years ago I was able to get my Linux laptop to work with GarminExpress following Chris Titus's? instructions but that didn't last long. I don't know whether it was the next version of GarminExpress(which seems to be updated every week or so) or a Linux update that killed it. I keep WINE and Linux Mint up to date but GE will load up and then stops.

Since there is a version of GarminExpress for Macs I was wondering if there is a program similar to WINE (WineBottler?) that might run GarminExpress?

BTW I hate Windows!! :evil: Win7 Pro was fine on the old computer but as each update came along it got slower and slower (I already maxed out the memory). Now I need to turn the Win10 computer on at least a few hours in advance of using it b/c of all the crap :shock: that Win10 does on start up. I cannot move my Win10 to a virtual box b/c of the license :x .

Thank you. Hopefully someone has good news :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: A "WINE" for MacOS?

Post by xenopeek »

There is, it's called Darling: https://www.darlinghq.org/. But it's not quite ready yet to run GUI programs according to the website.

I don't know what the best approach for updating Garmin GPS units is on Linux. It might be simplest to keep a Windows machine around for that, until Garmin or a competitor supports Linux.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Since there is a version of GarminExpress for Macs I was wondering if there is a program similar to WINE (WineBottler?) that might run GarminExpress?

Apple's reaction would be quite interesting.

(for the developer(s) the legal fees could also become interesting...)
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

I don't know what you want to update on your Garmin. But if you want to update your maps you better change to OpenStreetmap maps, just copy and paste to your Garmin.
http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
If you want to update the firmware, check the Garmin forums, there you can find the download url's for the firmware
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

Do you have a reason that you aren't running Windows as a VM? Even when I have a dual boot system I install Windows as a guest system with a Mint host. I have a few (very few) programs that are Windows only. One is a CAD program that will only run in 32 bit Windows 7 so I have a VM for that. Tax software is Windows only, so I have a W10 vm for that. I also run some PLC programming software on the W10 vm. The programming software will run on Linux, but the communication cable driver is proprietary so I need W10 for that. I haven't found a single program, other than games and high-end video that don't work just fine in a vm, although there may be some.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

xenopeek wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:22 pm There is, it's called Darling: https://www.darlinghq.org/. But it's not quite ready yet to run GUI programs according to the website....
Their github page shows activity back to 2012. If it can't run GUI programs yet I wouldn't hold my breath.

I suspect the very closed nature of APPLE OS is the problem.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

gittist wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:04 pm I keep an old computer with Windows 10 around for one reason only and that is to update our Garmin GPS units.
I can't answer your MacOS question, but you may find this of interest for your Linux machine, assuming you have one: viewtopic.php?t=344380
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Hoser Rob wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:27 am I suspect the very closed nature of APPLE OS is the problem.
Probably. BSD is hiding under the glitter.
gittist
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gittist »

In reference to: "Do you have a reason that you aren't running Windows as a VM?: Yes there is a reason that I don't have windows running in a Virtual Box. I cannot move Win 10 from my old computer to the new one because of the license (see my original post). The old computer had an OEM license for Win 7 Pro that was upgraded (free) to a Win 10 OEM license. I don't think you can move a Windows OEM license/software from one machine to another. The latest version of Windows that I have disks for is Win98.

I did a quick search on Craigslist to see if anyone had a relatively recent Windows 64 bit package for sale but didn't see any. Besides I'd be worried about it working.

I guess the easiest thing for now is to keep the old Windows computer updated and deal with the lag time when starting it up to do the monthly GPS updates.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

YES - - there is such an program:

CrossOver® Mac
https://www.codeweavers.com/crossover#mac
by the same company that does Crossover for Linux

it's an Commercial Program, though.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

gittist wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:55 pm In reference to: "Do you have a reason that you aren't running Windows as a VM?: Yes there is a reason that I don't have windows running in a Virtual Box. I cannot move Win 10 from my old computer to the new one because of the license (see my original post). The old computer had an OEM license for Win 7 Pro that was upgraded (free) to a Win 10 OEM license. I don't think you can move a Windows OEM license/software from one machine to another. The latest version of Windows that I have disks for is Win98.

I did a quick search on Craigslist to see if anyone had a relatively recent Windows 64 bit package for sale but didn't see any. Besides I'd be worried about it working.

I guess the easiest thing for now is to keep the old Windows computer updated and deal with the lag time when starting it up to do the monthly GPS updates.
You can just download from Microsoft & use in a VM for free. It is not activated, but the only 2 limits on that are:
1). An “Activate Windows” watermark in the lower right-hand corner.

2). You can’t personalize the desktop. You can set your wallpaper by directly clicking on an image, and you can still access desktop magnification settings.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

gittist wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:55 pm I don't think you can move a Windows OEM license/software from one machine to another.
Yes you can, did it many times
If you want a cheap and legal windows license goto softwarebilliger.de
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Hoser Rob wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:27 am
xenopeek wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:22 pm There is, it's called Darling: https://www.darlinghq.org/. But it's not quite ready yet to run GUI programs according to the website....
Their github page shows activity back to 2012. If it can't run GUI programs yet I wouldn't hold my breath.

I suspect the very closed nature of APPLE OS is the problem.
Kadaitcha Man wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:40 am
Hoser Rob wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:27 am I suspect the very closed nature of APPLE OS is the problem.
Probably. BSD is hiding under the glitter.

Darling refers exclusively to the open source Darwin part of OSX / macOS. Carbon and Cocoa APIs as well as Quartz and the Aqua GUI for graphics are not included.
Darwin does not include many of the defining elements of macOS, such as the Carbon and Cocoa APIs or the Quartz Compositor and Aqua user interface, and thus cannot run Mac applications. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_(operating_system)
Consequently, no glorious prospects for running Mac applications on Linux ...

Return to “Software & Applications”