I am looking for a PPA for easyeffects

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chrisabbeytx
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking for a PPA for easyeffects

Post by chrisabbeytx »

Hello, I've recently upgraded from pulseaudio to pipewire. Doing so has caused pulseeffects not to work for me. The latest version of pulseeffects is now called easyeffects. https://github.com/MinjaMiladinovic/easyeffects

The debian install instructions for easyeffects say that they need to be updated. https://github.com/wwmm/easyeffects/wik ... rom-Source

I nevertheless attempted to follow the instructions, replacing "pulseeffects" with "easyeffects" and whatever version was in the original instructions with the latest version number. All this seemed to work alright, except this instruction:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mikhailnov/easyeffects

which returns:

Cannot add PPA: ''No supported PPA of this name was found.''.

Using the PPA for pulseeffects causes the debuild instruction not to work, which returns:

debuild -i -us -uc
dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -ui -i
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source package pulseeffects
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source version 4.8.2-1
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source distribution unstable
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source changed by Mikhail Novosyolov <mikhailnov@dumalogiya.ru>
dpkg-source -i --before-build .
dpkg-buildpackage: info: host architecture amd64
dpkg-source: error: source package has two conflicting values - easyeffects and pulseeffects
dpkg-buildpackage: error: dpkg-source -i --before-build . subprocess returned exit status 25
debuild: fatal error at line 1182:
dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -ui -i failed

And nothing works after that.

If I try to use pulseeffects, the spectrum analyzer remains blank, and there is no change to the sound when I adjust the sliders of the EQ, such as by turning the output volume all the way down. The author has expressed that he intended easyeffects for use with Arch linux, and is not interested in assisting with debian installation or instructions. I don't know how to downgrade pipewire back to pulseaudio. I would rather use the newest version, if possible, anyway.

I am using Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon, kernel 5.11.0-25-generic. Everything else seems to be working fine.

Any help? Please and thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: I am looking for a PPA for easyeffects

Post by Moonstone Man »

chrisabbeytx wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:18 am I've recently upgraded from pulseaudio to pipewire. Doing so has caused pulseeffects not to work for me.
I wonder why...
The latest version of pulseeffects is now called easyeffects. https://github.com/MinjaMiladinovic/easyeffects

The debian install instructions for easyeffects say that they need to be updated. https://github.com/wwmm/easyeffects/wik ... rom-Source

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mikhailnov/easyeffects
which returns:

Code: Select all

Cannot add PPA: ''No supported PPA of this name was found.''.
And nothing works after that.

Any help? Please and thank you!
Yes, but it's highly unlikely to be the help you want or might expect.

A plain reading of the error message, or even a simple google search, either would have told you that there is no such ppa as ppa:mikhailnov/easyeffects, and a simple search for "easyeffects" "ppa" would have told you that there is no such ppa for easyeffects at all, anywhere.

Indeed, the instructions at github are clear: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mikhailnov/pulseeffects, not sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mikhailnov/easyeffects

Installing pipewire, with all due respect, is madness. It is absolutely not ready for prime time. It is bug-riddled, and very unstable because it's under heavy development. In fact, it has been removed from several distributions for that reason. I'm afraid that if you're going to mess with pipewire then you may very well be on your own, with your only sources of assistance being a search engine, the developers involved in the github packages you're using, Mikhail Novosyolov himself, and whomever it was that gave you the wrong instructions you were following. Presumably your only other options are to download the full github source for easyeffects then compile and install it, or read: https://github.com/MinjaMiladinovic/eas ... stallation

It isn't impossible that someone here will assist you, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

chrisabbeytx wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:18 am Hello, I've recently upgraded from pulseaudio to pipewire.
Why do you label that unfortunate ill-advised action as an "upgrade"?
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Pjotr wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:51 am
chrisabbeytx wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:18 am Hello, I've recently upgraded from pulseaudio to pipewire.
Why do you label that unfortunate ill-advised action as an "upgrade"?
It was probably suggested to the OP by someone who uses Grub Customizer and BleachBit.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

From the 1st link in the OP: "This application used to be called PulseEffects but it was renamed to EasyEffects after we started to use GTK4 ..."

I can't think of many better ways to trash your OS than trying this foolishness.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:27 am I can't think of many better ways to trash your OS than trying this foolishness.
Ubuntu Unity DE, Samsung DeX for Linux, KDE on top of Cinnamon, mainline kernels, unmaintained and self-compiled github code, alien, anything out of the Suse Ubuntu repository, LXQt on top of Cinnamon, deepin DE, GNOME desktop, open as root, and any Intel CPU.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:02 am
Hoser Rob wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:27 am I can't think of many better ways to trash your OS than trying this foolishness.
Ubuntu Unity DE, Samsung DeX for Linux, KDE on top of Cinnamon, mainline kernels, unmaintained and self-compiled github code, alien, anything out of the Suse Ubuntu repository, LXQt on top of Cinnamon, deepin DE, GNOME desktop, open as root, and any Intel CPU.
LOL. The biggest mistake I ever made in Linux was installing the Unity version of Ubuntu for my first Linux install. Newer users may not be aware that before Unity came out, Mint was just one of many piddly little 'buntu based distros. Cinnamon started looking pretty good by comparison.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
chrisabbeytx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chrisabbeytx »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:44 am

Installing pipewire, with all due respect, is madness. It is absolutely not ready for prime time. It is bug-riddled, and very unstable because it's under heavy development. In fact, it has been removed from several distributions for that reason. I'm afraid that if you're going to mess with pipewire then you may very well be on your own, with your only sources of assistance being a search engine, the developers involved in the github packages you're using, Mikhail Novosyolov himself, and whomever it was that gave you the wrong instructions you were following. Presumably your only other options are to download the full github source for easyeffects then compile and install it, or read: https://github.com/MinjaMiladinovic/eas ... stallation

It isn't impossible that someone here will assist you, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Thank you. I will search for ways to go back to pulseaudio, then.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

chrisabbeytx wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:14 pm Thank you.
With my compliments.
I will search for ways to go back to pulseaudio, then.
You may find it more efficient to do a clean install.

Return to “Software & Applications”