How to change LibO default to higher version?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
52ROSt
Level 5
Level 5

How to change LibO default to higher version?

Post by 52ROSt »

LM 20.2 Cinnamon, updated

I always keep the LibO version which comes with LM version for safety reason.

However I like to test newer LibO versions.

How can I change the default version of LibO to the newer version without changing the default for Writer, Calc, Draw, etc.?

Thanks for helping replies.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How to change LibO default to higher version?

Post by xenopeek »

The easiest option may be to use the official AppImage (use the Fresh branch for latest stable version): https://www.libreoffice.org/download/appimage/. That's a stand-alone download that doesn't change the LO installed on your OS. You can use them side-by-side. That's suitable for testing a newer version. Just download, mark it as executable (steps are on that page) and double-click it in your file manager to run it.

There is also a flatpak version of LibreOffice: https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.li ... ibreOffice. You can install this through the Flatpak category in Software Manager, or with the command on that page. Like the AppImage you can use that side-by-side with the LO installed on your OS, it doesn't replace that. If you always want to automatically get a newer version of LO — but not overwrite the default LO installed on your OS — the flatpak might be a good option as this gets updates through Update Manager. The initial download will be bigger than with AppImage but subsequent downloads for newer versions will be smaller.

And finally you could also add a LibreOffice PPA to your software sources and that way you can upgrade your LO version to a newer one. That replaces the default installed LO version: https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ubuntu/ppa. Not what you wanted but I'm mentioning it anyway for any other readers.
52ROSt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by 52ROSt »

@xenopeek

Thanks for your explantion.

The flatpak possibility sounds very good to me. As it gives me the always latest version while keeping the original version of the LM version (in my case LM20).

However, does the flatpak version take the customization of the original version?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I don't rightly know if the flatpak (or AppImage) use the preferences you set on your currently installed LO.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

The LO 7 Appimage does not use any settings that you have created in LO 6.
It comes with the default settings which you have to adjust as necessary..
52ROSt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by 52ROSt »

Tanks for your quick reply.

I will see if I can get some information from LibO Support.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

- 1st, uninstall the LibreOffice packages that came with the distrib (named libreoffice*)

- Download from LibreOffice website: LibreOffice, language pack (if you want the GUI in another language than English), and help pack, the three for the same revision of LibreOffice (I use 7.1.5). Choose the deb versions.

- Uncompress your downloads; in each you will find a debs subdirectory.

- In each of these debs directories, open a terminal; then:

Code: Select all

$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
begin by LibreOffice, then language pack (if downloaded), then help pack.

Your LibreOffice is now installed; you will see the installed packages (libobasis* and libreoffice*) in synaptic, in the category "installed, local or obsolete". LibreOffice will use your existing profile (if existing) or create one at the 1st launch.

For future updates, same thing; uninstall is not necessary (future revisions will be installed over existing ones and old ones removed by dpkg) except when you change the main number of LibreOffice (for example, from 7.x to 8.x).

NB: to accelerate the launch of LibreOffice, check that the following line is in your hosts file '/etc/hosts' or add it:

127.0.0.1	your_computer localhost your_computer.(none)
where "your_computer" is your computer name, as you can find it when you launch a terminal before the $: "user@your_computer:~$"

Regards,

MN
Last edited by MikeNovember on Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Level 5
Level 5

Post by 52ROSt »

@MikeNovember

Thanks for your detailed explanation. They show me that I am doing this correct.

It seems something went wrong with my installations of 7.0 and 7.1 I think I will purge both and then install the latest 7.1 new but keep the original 6.x.y

Thanks also for the acceleration hint. I will follow up on this as well after installing having done the aforementioned.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

Several installations of LibreOffice share the same user profile. Using these different installations could lead to a profile corruption, and then LibreOffice dysfunction, particularly if they are not from the same major (6.x, 7.x) version.

If that were the case, just delete your '/home/user/.config/libreoffice' directory, where "user" is your user name.

At the next launch, LibreOffice will rebuild a fresh uncorrupted user profile.

Sorry, there was a typo in the launch acceleration trick, it is:

127.0.0.1	your_computer localhost your_computer.(none)
Regards,

MikeNovember

Return to “Software & Applications”