MS Teams for Linux - can't see shared screen

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
joeker
Level 1
Level 1

MS Teams for Linux - can't see shared screen

Post by joeker »

Hi,
I'm running MS Teams for Linux version 1.4.00.13653 (64bit) on my Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon. Up to last week everything was working fine, but since Thursday or Friday I wasn't able to see a shared screen anymore. When someone is starting to share, the persons dark grey background turns black, but that's it - nothing happens. I tried reinstalling and logging off/in. Of course I also rebooted my PC in the meantime a couple of times.
My main guess would be that it is somehow related to the Mint Upgrade I did some more days ago, and now again having more application updates the last few days.
Anybody else also encountering this? Or any idea how this could be analyzed? Is there a logfile I could check? Or a cache I could dump?

lg Joe
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: MS Teams for Linux - can't see shared screen

Post by deepakdeshp »

In advanced options in grub, there will be listed all installed kernels.Boot to the installed older kernels and test.
Good luck.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Kendoori
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kendoori »

Does it make a difference if you don't use the desktop client, and use the browser instead. I've had a ton of problems with the desktop client and have actually uninstalled it. I use the browser to attend meetings and have found it much more stable and reliable.
sscheiper
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sscheiper »

Hi!
Similar problem here ... LM 20.2 with the installation of the latest update Teams 1.4.00.13653 doesn't work with the webcam(s) anymore, cams are found but only black screen and desktop sharing isn't shown as well!

Does anybody know a way to see which updates have been installed recently? Maybe that indicates what's wrong here ....

-Stefan
sscheiper
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sscheiper »

to add ... almost forgot, Wine Apps do not find a cam anymore as well ... which was the case! Have Jabber working, supported Audio and Video ....

-Stefan
sscheiper
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sscheiper »

latest update, i found out that there seems to be an issue with XVideo - support on my PC.

My webcams (i have 2) generate Video1 / Video2 (XVideo/GL) and Video / Video4 (XVideo/GL), the Xvideo does not work and Teams seems to try to use the Video1 / 3 devices.

Option1: Any idea what might be wrong with the XVideo-Support, has there been any update / change on this? I have an INTEL HD Graphics 5300, is there a driver issue (funnywise i can't change resolution and color mode anymore)
Option2: Is there a way to make GL the Prio1 mode that would make Video1 /3 the GL supporting device and hopefully Teams would use this...
Option3: Can i force Teams to pick another Video-device ? (It's showing the the 2 cams but connects to them through XVideo which doesn't seem to work ...
Option4: Other creative ideas?

Thanks for any ideas!

-Stefan
sscheiper
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sscheiper »

Re-installing the driver package solved the problems with the settings and the XVideo - support but nothing in Regards to Teams ... except that now an error message pops up in Teams, the video cam what not be working ....

... any recommendations / ideas welcome!

-Stefan
sscheiper
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sscheiper »

Hi .. just to avoid confusion, for me neither Screen-Sharing nor the camera does work, i assume for the same reason. I solved the driver problem but that did not have impact on the sharing issue or allowing the cameras to work.
The strange detail is that the camera turns on but shows a black picture, so does sharing (viewing a shared screen).

Anybody that has the same problem that can confirm both problems to have?

-Stefan
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I used MS Teams today with a Webex conference on the browser version. Everything (including desktop sharing - both ways) worked great even though my camera was not working at the time. The camera showed an error in both Cheese and guvcview after I got off the Webex meeting. A restart fixed the camera, and now everything works with MS Teams browser version. So no, I don't experience what you see.
sscheiper
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sscheiper »

Hi !

i tested some things, the web-version does not allow any audio or video, but i can see shared content and share by myself.

The app does not allow anything like that, even sharing graphics in a chat is not displayed properly.

It would be great if somebody could comment if the Teams App 1.4.00.13653 on Mint 20.2 is working fine somewhere? I'm not a developer, so i don't know how the app deals with that, but this looks to me like a more general problem, either with graphics or any platform related service.

I would be interested in knowing if the Teams App required Wine to run?

Thanks!

-Stefan
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Team doesn't require wine. It works well natively. I have deleted it since.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
sscheiper
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sscheiper »

Thanks!
The background of that question was that i'm using Crossover and do have some other problems with Wine.

-Stefan
sscheiper
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sscheiper »

sscheiper wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:59 pm Hi !

i tested some things, the web-version does not allow any audio or video, but i can see shared content and share by myself.

The app does not allow anything like that, even sharing graphics in a chat is not displayed properly.

It would be great if somebody could comment if the Teams App 1.4.00.13653 on Mint 20.2 is working fine somewhere? I'm not a developer, so i don't know how the app deals with that, but this looks to me like a more general problem, either with graphics or any platform related service.

I would be interested in knowing if the Teams App required Wine to run?

Thanks!

-Stefan
just found out that that even the incoming video isn't displayed .... this is getting really weird .... -Stefan
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I thought I was using the browser version, but after pasting the Teams Meeting URL into Firefox, it opens the Linux based Teams program.
teams.png
I couldn't figure out what version it is. How do you do that?
I opened the desktop file (MS Teams - Preview) located in /usr/share/applications/ and I guess it is version 1:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=Microsoft Teams - Preview
Comment=Microsoft Teams for Linux is your chat-centered workspace in Office 365.
Exec=teams %U
Icon=teams
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=true
StartupWMClass=Microsoft Teams - Preview
Categories=Network;
MimeType=x-scheme-handler/msteams;
X-KDE-Protocols=teams
Actions=QuitTeams;
X-GNOME-UsesNotifications=true;

[Desktop Action QuitTeams]
Name=Quit Teams