VLC Problems Since Update to 20.2

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
haystack
Level 1
Level 1

VLC Problems Since Update to 20.2

Post by haystack »

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this yet. But, I just recently updated to LM 20.2, and I noticed something odd with VLC. Before you ask, it worked fine before, but now, not so much. I haven't tested this with too many other formats, but now that I've updated to 20.2, VLC will play .mp4 video files, but if I try to play .m4v files or .mkv files with VLC, it will play the sound, but there will be no picture. I'm curious if anyone else has encountered this? And, I'm curious about what I should do? Should I remove, and then reinstall VLC? Is there a terminal command that might work? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: VLC Problems Since Update to 20.2

Post by Moonstone Man »

haystack wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:28 pm ... I'm curious about what I should do? ...
sudo apt install --reinstall mint-meta-codecs

Give that a try.
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

As you don't give any sysinfo with inxi -Fxxxz, we'll try it out of the blue :

- if your hardware is recent -> Guide: If you have issues with new VLC on high end device
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... 86c436822f
on VLC Forum which should be checked anyway when you suspect an issue with the app.

- the "debian accepted" version (3.0.12) is probably safer than the Flatpak (3.0.16) which is more recent and therefore may contain the most recent bugs if any.

- the problem is probably not coming from the distro itself but from the Cinnamon upgrade (I experienced some under LMDE4 too after Cinnamon upgrade to 5.0.5)

- you may also try to disable Open GL rendering in VLC :
Tools => Settings => Video => Output modules => Video output module. There switch from Automatic to XVideo output (XCB).
If this works, it may, according to the VLC developers, be a sign of broken display drivers :
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)
haystack
Level 1
Level 1

Post by haystack »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:25 pm
haystack wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:28 pm ... I'm curious about what I should do? ...
sudo apt install --reinstall mint-meta-codecs

Give that a try.
I tried it and I'm having the same problem.
haystack
Level 1
Level 1

Post by haystack »

Aztaroth wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:40 am As you don't give any sysinfo with inxi -Fxxxz, we'll try it out of the blue :

- if your hardware is recent -> Guide: If you have issues with new VLC on high end device
on VLC Forum which should be checked anyway when you suspect an issue with the app.

- the "debian accepted" version (3.0.12) is probably safer than the Flatpak (3.0.16) which is more recent and therefore may contain the most recent bugs if any.

- the problem is probably not coming from the distro itself but from the Cinnamon upgrade (I experienced some under LMDE4 too after Cinnamon upgrade to 5.0.5)

- you may also try to disable Open GL rendering in VLC :
Tools => Settings => Video => Output modules => Video output module. There switch from Automatic to XVideo output (XCB).
If this works, it may, according to the VLC developers, be a sign of broken display drivers :

I tried changing the video output in VLC to XVideo output (XCB), and that worked. Thanks.
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

haystack wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:06 pm I tried changing the video output in VLC to XVideo output (XCB), and that worked. Thanks.
Glad if one of my tips helped you out.
You may wait some days to be sure of the fix, but then mark the topic as SOLVED so it can also help others.
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)
BradB58
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BradB58 »

Updated to LM 20.2 and had this same issue. Found this thread and changed video output to XCB. Worked for me also. My question is: Why is VLC video output not working on automatic setting? Is this a Linux Mint bug? Why do we have to go hunting for this fix for this fix that is buried so deep in the settings?
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

Install VLC 3.0.16 as a flatpak, and uninstall the Mint provided outdated deb with synaptic. VLC comes in flatpak with all that is necessary for it to run. The most recent version, 3.0.16 is still on the Vetinari branch and so is essentially issued for bugs correction (it has LESS bugs than 3.0.9 or 3.0.12, not more).

Code: Select all

flatpak install org.videolan.VLC
Regards,

MN

Return to “Software & Applications”