VPN Choices SOLVED

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

Re: VPN Choices

Post by Pepper-Mint-Patty »

If you do want to protect youre privacy don't use Nord VPN and the likes. Remember the vpn can/ will monitor all youre internet movements.
It could be a very good choice to buy a router that supports open wrt. https://forum.openwrt.org/t/so-you-have ... irst/90305

Well gel i really am very much impressed by youre arguments! Though the only thing i see is you are pretty bad in READING. Even after pointing out!
But since we are getting off topic and you don't have anything to add but some not to control boasting text i will not be bothered any longer. Cheers.
If guns don't kill, then OxyContin doesn't either, heroin isn't addicitve and fairy tales are real.
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

Here is a website which explains the VPN system very well.

https://fastestvpn.com/blog/does-a-vpn- ... -your-isp/

Modern routers permit the installation of a VPN which gives you an additional firewall besides your OS. With technology being what it is, whenever a manufacturer has some new and better security, some smart a.s will come up with a tech to defeat it. That being said, the only sure way to transmit anything is to hand carry it, which of course is subject to you being hit by lightning in the process. :lol:
frostymusic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by frostymusic »

Okay,
After reading online reviews, I sometimes wonder if people are paid to do it, I am going to stick with PIA!
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dave0808 »

As your main issue is the slow speed of PIA, then it wouldn't hurt to have a look at ProtonVPN as they have a free tier and you don't need any special software to set it up. Simply download the OVPN file and add it via Network Manager. That will, at the very least, allow you to compare the services / speeds.
frostymusic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by frostymusic »

Dave 0808, Hi.
Okay, I live in Canada. How do VPN's so far away as Proton work faster? Im not being a smart ass, really want to understand that.
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dave0808 »

Any decent provider is going to have multiple nodes all over the world.

Of course, their free tier is unlikely to be the fastest offering. Those will be reserved for their paying customers. I just thought it would be worth you having something else to try and compare with your current offering.

I don't use mine a lot. It was something I set up for when I was traveling, but of course I've not done a lot (any) in the last 18 months. So I use it at home once in a while to keep the account active. In normal browsing, I can't say I really notice a difference. I don't stream through it though.
frostymusic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by frostymusic »

I don't stream either. I use mine primarily for online bank access and some torrenting.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi frostymusic,

I just re-read your post and more of the good replies to it. Here are more of my thoughts on this as well.
frostymusic wrote:On PIA I can get 526mbs on a server East Coast USA. Reading a review on VPN's Nord vpn claims to have highspeed servers. Dunno.
I don't stream either. I use mine primarily for online bank access and some torrenting.
If you install speedtest from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) or from the console terminal and run "speedtest" from a console terminal prompt without being connected to a VPN server, that should give you an idea of what your ISP speed is. Then, connect to a VPN server, and re-run speedtest to see what your Internet speed is while connected to that VPN server. I usually recommend running speedtest 3 times for each test and take an average of the results.

526 mbps using a PIA server seems pretty fast to me. And, you can always try other PIA VPN servers to see what their speeds are.

You can also try various VPN providers that offer a money back guarantee for a specific time period. Or try their monthly plans for testing. I noticed that the best pricing from various VPN providers is by purchasing 2 years or more.

ProtonVPN finally has a nice Linux Desktop GUI software client that is easy to install and use. I have a free ProtonVPN account which works pretty well, but is limited in its speed and functionality; No P2P or torrenting and only a few available free servers.
ProtonVPN - Pricing
https://protonvpn.com/pricing

How to get faster speeds on a VPN
Understanding and increasing VPN connection speeds - ProtonVPN Support
https://protonvpn.com/support/increase-vpn-speeds/

NordVPN does not have a Linux desktop GUI client, but their console terminal client does work well.

I have been using "VPN.ac" from Romania for almost 2 years now which I am really pleased with and has great Linux desktop GUI software, is fast, good prices, lots of servers all over the world. I got the 2 year option.

VPN.AC - VPN Accounts - Plans & Pricing
7 days Money Back Guarantee. Full refund, risk free!
https://vpn.ac/vpn-accounts

Hope this helps ...
New ProtonVPN Desktop GUI software client
New ProtonVPN Desktop GUI software client
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
frostymusic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by frostymusic »

For your viewing pleasure, I have performed speedtests from terminal

Code: Select all

terry@terry-MS-7A39:~$ speedtest
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from Performive (172.98.80.65)...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Selecting best server based on ping...
Hosted by Bell Canada (Toronto, ON) [3.07 km]: 80.865 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 222.07 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed......................................................................................................
Upload: 18.65 Mbit/s
Testing from Performive (208.78.42.199)...
Hosted by Frontier Networks Inc (Vancouver, BC) [3.77 km]: 172.643 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 224.76 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed......................................................................................................
Upload: 15.10 Mbit/s
[b][u]Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from Host1Plus (191.96.185.195)...
Hosted by ManagedWay Company (Troy, MI) [780.32 km]: 101.561 ms
Download: 469.96 Mbit/s
Upload: 19.62 Mbit/s[/u][/b]
Testing from Datacamp Limited (143.244.44.88)...
Hosted by Starry, Inc. (New York, NY) [0.09 km]: 71.331 ms
Download: 163.85 Mbit/s
Upload: 19.27 Mbit/s
Testing from Host1Plus (102.165.16.234)...
Hosted by Honest.net (New York, NY) [6.34 km]: 121.726 ms
Download: 264.13 Mbit/s
Upload: 20.01 Mbit/s
Testing from Netcalibre Ltd (191.96.227.118)...
Hosted by Netprotect (New York, NY) [0.09 km]: 72.814 ms
Download: 360.18 Mbit/s
Upload: 20.26 Mbit/s
Testing from Host1Plus (102.165.16.47)...
Hosted by Pilot (New York, NY) [6.34 km]: 82.076 ms
Download: 400.83 Mbit/s
Upload: 19.24 Mbit/s
Testing from Host1Plus (102.165.16.47)...
Hosted by Pilot (New York, NY) [6.34 km]: 76.976 ms
Download: 277.55 Mbit/s
Upload: 19.00 Mbit/s
Testing from Performive (172.98.71.135)...
Hosted by Connexio (Montreal, QC) [0.35 km]: 108.5 ms
Download: 229.97 Mbit/s
Upload: 19.45 Mbit/s
terry@terry-MS-7A39:~$ 

The Troy MI site gave me the best download speed. I could not replicate it again.
Last edited by Moem on Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding [code] tags. This puts long output into a neat scrollable box and retains some helpful formatting.
Therim
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Therim »

Many VPNs slow down your bandwidth by at least 20%, but the sensitivity of that 20% will depend only on your internet.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi frostymusic,

Those are some of the speedtest tests that I was recommending.

I cannot tell from your posted results what your default ISP speedtest results are when not connected to any VPN server which can be used as a baseline when comparing the results when you are connected to a VPN server (you can hide or remove your ISP IP address before posting, does not matter with the VPN connections). It is important to know what your default ISP speedtest actual results are (I would run it 3 times and take an average).

All the speeds are more than enough for most online activity including torrents. Yet, if you are paying for 500 mbps Internet speed (upload and download) from your ISP, then only a couple of the PIA VPN servers come close to that. If you are paying for 1gbps (1000 mbps) Internet speed from your ISP, then none of these would be considered good results.

It is pretty normal that upload speeds are slower than download speeds with or without using a VPN.

My speedtest results are very close to my ISP's stated speed regardless of which VPN.ac server I connect with. A lot of VPN providers will provide their current servers status either in their software client or on their website to help choose less congested servers, some can automatically pick the best performing server to connect with, etc... I can actually get better Internet speeds than my default ISP sometimes by connecting to a VPN.ac server, but I am using a much slower ISP than you are.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
frostymusic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by frostymusic »

Code: Select all

Testing from Rogers Cable (174.116.227.161)...
Hosted by The Core Hosting, LLC. (Quebec, QC) [505.04 km]: 69.34 ms
Download: 481.83 Mbit/s
Upload: 20.24 Mbit/s
Hosted by The Core Hosting, LLC. (Quebec, QC) [505.04 km]: 44.764 ms
Download: 499.38 Mbit/s
Upload: 20.80 Mbit/s
Hosted by The Core Hosting, LLC. (Quebec, QC) [505.04 km]: 46.633 ms
Download: 456.95 Mbit/s
Upload: 20.92 Mbit/s
terry@terry-MS-7A39:~$ 

These are my typical speeds at 10:00 am Atlantic Time. I am on a 500mb plan from Rogers. Some say that Rogers throttle connections. Will check them later to see if there is any change. I suspect evenings will be busier, but I am usually on in the daytime.
BwingBob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BwingBob »

+1 for Proton VPN. I use them on my phones and PCs. They have servers located all over the world and if your connection slows down, just reconnect and it will pick a faster one. Fastest is one of the options when you make the connection.

Bob
Pop_OS! 22.04 {Dell Inspiron 15 5510}
Linux Mint Cinnamon 21 {Minisforum UM700}
Pop_OS! Thelio Mira ;-)
We have met the enemy and he is us. - Pogo
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

Proton works well now, I tested it as free, the team is reactive by email, it has now a GUI for Linux with a good "killswitch" feature

I cannot access to Facebook though , it is weird because nothing on the net by Google about this problem : ??????,
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon - K 5.15 - Desktop - english
AMD APU A8 7600 - DDR3 1833 MHz 8 GB x2 Dual Channel
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.
Ryu945
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Ryu945 »

Consider:

IVPN
ProtonVPN
Mullvad VPN

They all have a good rating and actually have an app in the Fdroid store.
Cin 21.3 64 Bit
According to Keith Chuvala, who manages Space Operations Computing for NASA, "We migrated key functions from Windows to Linux because we needed an operating system that was stable and reliable-one that would give us in-house control.
Ryu945
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Ryu945 »

Menard wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:42 pm Proton works well now, I tested it as free, the team is reactive by email, it has now a GUI for Linux with a good "killswitch" feature

I cannot access to Facebook though , it is weird because nothing on the net by Google about this problem : ??????,
Could your netshield setting be blocking Facebook? There a block malware version and a block malware/ads version. The second might be causing your issues.
Cin 21.3 64 Bit
According to Keith Chuvala, who manages Space Operations Computing for NASA, "We migrated key functions from Windows to Linux because we needed an operating system that was stable and reliable-one that would give us in-house control.
BwingBob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BwingBob »

Menard wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:42 pm Proton works well now, I tested it as free, the team is reactive by email, it has now a GUI for Linux with a good "killswitch" feature

Can't comment on Facebook, gave it up a long time ago.
Pop_OS! 22.04 {Dell Inspiron 15 5510}
Linux Mint Cinnamon 21 {Minisforum UM700}
Pop_OS! Thelio Mira ;-)
We have met the enemy and he is us. - Pogo
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

Ryu945 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:52 pm

Could your netshield setting be blocking Facebook? There a block malware version and a block malware/ads version. The second might be causing your issues.
Not sure to understand "netshield" you mean the provider box ? Linux firewall ? the browsers ? I access Facebook with my account without a VPN, by Google Chrome, but with VPN I try to create an account by Firefox and a pop up or something liçke this, blocks the access to the login box, it is a known problem for which i read that it was what happens when Facebook identifies a VPN, and it is the same with Opera
I mean, perhaps Facebook accept VPNs, that would be logic, but not IP adresses that are on spam lists etc as perhaps these free IP from proton or Opera (same problem by it)
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

There is a kind of fashion for VPNs.

Are they necessary?

Browsing:

- No VPN, http connection: your ISP knows all of you, where you connect, what you download and upload. Websites you connect to know your IP address (at least the one of your router). You can be easily tracked.

- No VPN, https connection: with HTTPS everywhere you use SSL each time it is possible; your ISP knows where you connect, but don't know what you download or upload. Websites know your IP address. You can prevent / reduce tracking using hosts file as an IP address filter, using an adblocker such as uBlock origin with anti tracking capabilities, use browser extension such as privacy badger against tracking.
Your IP address is exposed, and so what? There is no harm; It is the address of your router, you are NATed behind it, your router may have a firewall or you use a firewall, you are protected from incoming connections.

- VPN: your ISP does not know what you do, but your VPN provider yes! He knows where you connect, and, if you don't use https, he knows what you download and upload --> https is still mandatory; the websites don't know your IP address and your country of origin; this allows you, for example, to view US series on Netflix while you live in Europe; this is the main reason for which people pay for VPN, not for a supposed enhanced security or privacy.

- Tor Browser: nobody knows from where you connect, where you connect, what you download or upload; it is free, it is a bit slow.

=> except if you want to appear as having an IP from a precise country which is not yours, VPN is a cost for nothing; use https connections, hosts file, adblocker and privacy enhancement browser extensions; if you really want a higher degree of privacy / anonimity, use Tor Browser (and if you don't want to let any trace, use Tor Browser from within Tail).

e-mails:

- Once more VPN is useless; if you use webmail, connect to your mailer using https; if you use an e-mail client such as Thunderbird, configure your pop or imap and smtp connections to use encryption.

- And, if you want your e-mails can be read only by the people you send them, use e-mail encryption (with Gnu Privacy Guard).

Regards,

MN
Level 7

Post by Menard »

If the NAT protect us from incoming connections, it doesn't protect us from routeur hack, a routeur hacked means that the hacker can disable the Firewall and set the routeur in bridge or activate the "distant control" for him so that the routeur become a colander (or a strainer) no ? He can install his own VPN on it, or change the DNS to send us to pages with viruses
--

Return to “Software & Applications”