Chrome resizes on opening

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
petedecember
Level 3
Level 3

Chrome resizes on opening

Post by petedecember »

Greetings, folks!

When I open Chrome, it opens as a small window even though it was normal sized when I closed it. I have already done a "restore settings to their orginal defaults" within Chrome and it didn't help. Does anyone have an idea what is happening?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LG Gram 17 upgraded to 2 tb SSD, dual booting Windows 10, Linux Mint 21 with Cinnamon, 64 bit
Asus Zenbook UM425Q, Linux Mint 21 with Cinnamon, 64 bit
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Chrome resizes on opening

Post by deepakdeshp »

Does manual reading of Chrome work?
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
petedecember
Level 3
Level 3

Post by petedecember »

Thanks, Deepakdeshp!

Well, I am not sure what you mean by "manual reading of Chrome [working]." It does resize when I grab a corner of the window and drag it outwards. Just in case I didn't make this clear, I am talking about Chrome the web browser.

Thanks again!
LG Gram 17 upgraded to 2 tb SSD, dual booting Windows 10, Linux Mint 21 with Cinnamon, 64 bit
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

I meant manual resizing not reading. That was auto corrected.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

petedecember
Level 3
Level 3

Post by petedecember »

(Sorry it took me a day to get back to you, deepakdeshp!)

Yes, I can manually resize it when I open it.

Thanks for getting back to me!
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

The short answer is to manually resize it. Others may suggest something else.
Regards,
Deepak

petedecember
Level 3
Level 3

Post by petedecember »

Thanks, deepakdeshp

Does anyone else have any idea?
FrankB616
Level 4
Level 4

Post by FrankB616 »

The google-chrome config file in your /home directory is likely corrupt. I just deleted ~/.config/google-chrome

The procedure I used is outlined here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1339891 ... not-workin

I didn't find I needed to flush the cache, however.

As noted in the link above, you will lose your browser history, and all your bookmarks. If you use Google's syncing ability (I do) then once you log back in again, you can just re-enable sync, and all those items will come back again from the cloud sync file.

Hope this helps.

Frank.
FrankB616
Level 4
Level 4

Post by FrankB616 »

Yeah, well that only worked until the next time I closed chrome. So, like you, I guess I am looking for a more permanent solution.

Frank.
famouslastwords

Post by famouslastwords »

Would help if you'd tell people which desktop you're using. Whichever it is, would look around in it's control center for any settings that might be relevant to your issue. Would also check in Chrome's own settings for anything too.
FrankB616
Level 4
Level 4

Post by FrankB616 »

OP lists his desktop in his signature line. I am using xfce, and I should have mentioned that.

Deleting the config file for Chrome and letting it create a new one does solve the problem. Or, I can switch to an alternate user account on my system and it works normally. Though I haven't tested this for sure yet, it appears that once I sync Chrome, the problem reappears.

Though it is not an uncommon problem with chrome, there are few solutions available on the internet. Other than it being a configuration issue, I haven't been able to track down what part of the configuration causes the problem.
famouslastwords

^ DOH !!! Lol ... missed that. Really never been into Chrome so outside of previous post not much to suggest. It's always been my personal policy to poke and prod things until it works the way I'm shooting for. Plenty of quality time spent with Google Inc. :D

Would still dig around in Chrome's settings for anything that looks likely related to this (size/zoom ... that type of thing) and though have barely used Chrome, it does have something similar to Firefox's about:config for tuning things not readily available in the browsers UI.
famouslastwords

Another practical suggestion occurs, software as popular as Chrome surely has a support community. Could be worth joining and asking there. No doubt plenty of Linux users among that community and they may have some good suggestions for you guys. Bonus karma points if you find the solution and share it here. :)
nkoropoff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nkoropoff »

I reported this identical issue back on Sept. 11th. viewtopic.php?f=47&t=356929 I have not found much in my searches looking for a solution. I know it started sometime after the release of 20.2 but there have been updates to Cinnamon and even more updates to Chrome since then. I found this Chrome extension Easy Window Resize that I use to get Chrome back to the size I want but I still must manually move it to the position I want it.
One thing I noticed today. If I resize and move the browser window it will restart in the same place if there is little time between the closing and restarting. Otherwise the browser window restarts at a smaller size somewhere other than where I want it. If I keep closing and restarting each time the browser window gets smaller and smaller.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

Hello

As Chrome user that I am , can you tell me if you have this very disturbing black window on each video and that display a supposed translation ? I am on giving up with chrome because of this ... it's new
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon - K 5.15 - Desktop - english
AMD APU A8 7600 - DDR3 1833 MHz 8 GB x2 Dual Channel
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.

Return to “Software & Applications”