Update Manager won't launch sometimes

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Beckfield
Level 1
Level 1

Update Manager won't launch sometimes

Post by Beckfield »

I have Mint 20.2. When the Update Manager appears on the task bar indicating there are updates available, I click on the icon and, usually, the manager appears and I can install the updates.

For some time now, possibly since updating to 20.2, occasionally I click on the icon and ... nothing. The app doesn't open. If I reboot the computer, it starts working again, and it'll work for several days, then, again ... nothing. It's not a blocking issue, as I can get around it, either by rebooting or by running the update in Terminal, but something is obviously going wrong. Is this a known issue? Is there anything I can do about it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Update Manager won't launch sometimes

Post by sleeper12 »

Not sure if it will help, but try one line at a time:

Code: Select all

apt reinstall mintupdate
mintupdate 
Beckfield
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Beckfield »

Thanks for the suggestion. The situation just occurred again, and I tried your suggestion. After following those steps, the icon did launch the UI. So that's at least another way to recover when this happens. I'll have to wait to see if it stops working again.
dave1775
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dave1775 »

I've had the same issue for over a year. I've kind of gotten used to it, but every once in a while I wonder why it happens. Not so much recently, but it just did it again. Also on Mint 20.2 (Cinnamon 5.0.7).

Return to “Software & Applications”