cd/dvd tray opens and closes during boot after kernel update [Solved]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jsb
Level 3
Level 3

Re: cd/dvd tray opens and closes during boot after kernel update

Post by jsb »

ThaCrip wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:29 am [p.s. but apparently given what you say it's effecting Mint v19 series and Mint v20 series since I know the 4.15 kernel is installed by default on Mint v19.0-19.2.
Yes it's affecting 19 and, since it is a Ubuntu issue, other distributions as well.

I did find this: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=213795
In the comments someone says: v5.13-rc7 appears to be the first version affected and...the regressing change was backported to the various stable branches, so it appears to be present in them too.

So I would assume if it gets fixed for one kernal series, the fix will be backported to other series.
so I guess at this point we pretty much got to sit back and wait. or just opt for the potential temporary fix by 'limanyi'(?) or just don't install the newer kernels with the bug is about all we can do.
I'm not sure how it all works, but I guess that's it, since the bugs have been reported per the above link and this one :?: :
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1942299
but on a personal level... I generally leave my computer on all of the time and typically reboot and don't cold boot all that much, which the bug does not effect me as it's only when I 'cold boot' is when the drive tray issue acts up, and like another user here, it's a bit annoying because my desktop case has a door on it in front of the DVD drive tray so when that's closed, which it generally will be, the drive tray jams into the door and I got to open the door so the drive tray can finish coming out and go back in and then close the case door again like usual.
If I had it on cold boot, that would be better, since I leave my machine on, but do have it suspend and only shut down at night. I had been ignoring and just pushing the door back each time, I only decided to look for the cause when it almost knocked a glass of water over :lol:
asciiman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by asciiman »

Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
DIY desktop build
5.4.0-86.97 Linux kernel.
At cold boot, CD/DVD tray opens and then closes.
Note, that it DOES NOT do this on a reboot.

Going back to the 0-81 kernel until this is resolved.
Ayawisgi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ayawisgi »

Processed a number of updates over this past weekend, then on the next cold boot my CD tray began opening and closing once per cold boot.

After reading posts here I thought it was probably a kernel update that caused the problem, but updated the kernel again last night and CD tray popped open and closed this morning.

Mint 19.3
Cinnamon 4.4.8
DIY desktop build
Most recent update to 5.4.0-86-generic Linux kernel.

Can confirm this DOES NOT do this on a reboot.
Hapgood
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Hapgood »

I'm running Mint 19.3 on a home-built system. When I rebooted after installing 5.4.0-84, one of my two optical drives opened and closed before the GUI loaded. After reading several of these forum threads, I reverted to 5.4.0-81, which solved the problem, and blacklisted -84.

I just updated to 5.4.0-86. It has the same problem as -84. It also has a very lengthy list of changes, which possibly suggests the update contains bug fixes and security enhancements that were important enough to justify an update before they could fix the optical drive problem. Alternatively, it suggests that the maintainers don't consider the optical drive problem a priority, meaning we'll either need to live with it indefinitely or revert to -81 and do without that lengthy list of changes in -86.

Can anyone offer some insight into whether the changes in -86 are worth the inconvenience of the drive tray opening and closing on each boot?
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThaCrip »

Hapgood wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:34 pmCan anyone offer some insight into whether the changes in -86 are worth the inconvenience of the drive tray opening and closing on each boot?
Ill leave it to the higher ups for that kind of details. but from my best guess (which I suspect ill be at least partially correct here)...

I can't imagine there are many security issues in the kernel that would be exploited on a typical desktop/laptop setup without quite a bit of time passing (say at least some odd months and could be well over that for all I know) as I can't imagine many security issues turn up in the kernel that would be a serious threat to the common desktop/laptop user.

or another way one could look at it... in a typical year how many serious flaws could be exploited based on kernel updates for a average desktop/laptop user? ; I can't imagine there is many. so unless there is some higher level serious security issues etc, it's probably not likely the average user would have to be TOO concerned especially given Linux desktop is generally not a target, so your already fairly safe right off the start, security flaws or not. plus, even if there are a fair amount of flaws that could effect the desktop in a typical year, how many of them would be more of a real concern? ; because I would assume not all kernel security flaws are of a higher concern for the average desktop user.

in short... I would not worry about holding off on kernel updates for a while as playing the odds your computer will still be 'secure enough'. sure, it's probably better/safer to run the newest kernel offered by the Mint OS, but if one has to hold off for whatever reason, I don't think it would be a outright bad idea to do so, at least for a little while (call it at least 2-3 months as I can't imagine, on average, this would be a real problem).

p.s. anyone who's a expert feel free to chime in.
MainPC: i5-3550 (undervolted by -0.120v (CPU runs 12c cooler) /w stock i3-2120 hs/fan) | 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Backups: AMD E-300 CPU (8GB RAM) / Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (@2.3GHz@1.35v) (4GB RAM) | All /w Mint 21.x-Xfce
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DisturbedDragon »

Just received update to kernel 5.11.0-36 and issue persists.
Last edited by DisturbedDragon on Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
alexandrade17
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alexandrade17 »

I have the same problem just after the last update of mint. On cold boot the cd / dvd tray opens and closes, and after I wake the pc up the cd tray opens and stays open till I close it manually. My board is a Gygabite, i3 7 generation processor. I'll wait till the next update to see if it solves the problem.
momo608
Level 1
Level 1

Post by momo608 »

I don't know how long it takes to create the fix for stuff like this but I hope those dudes are giving it top priority to send the fix our way. I'll give it time before I try the suggested going back to the previous kernel thing of which would be uncharted territory for me.

"Just change back to the old kernal using "advanced boot options" which you access using shift key during boot, you don't have to timeshift.'

Anyway, on my Gateway the stinking tray stays open all the time if I don't close it, closes on wake up and then opens again and stays open. Tired of having to close it and I'm tired of hearing it open and close. I'm sending negative waves of shame telepathically at the person or persons who caused this and are not promptly fixing it.
jsb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jsb »

momo608 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:48 pm I don't know how long it takes to create the fix for stuff like this but I hope those dudes are giving it top priority to send the fix our way. I'll give it time before I try the suggested going back to the previous kernel thing of which would be uncharted territory for me.

"Just change back to the old kernal using "advanced boot options" which you access using shift key during boot, you don't have to timeshift.'
That's not anything to fear. I would think that it is a lot less extreme than timeshifting back. And certainly much faster.

You won't change anything permanently by this route. Assuming you have more than one kernal, you pick the older during the "advanced boot" and it boots with that, just the one time. If you reboot (without deleting the newest kernal), it will automatically go back to that on the next boot.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

I would think that it is a lot less extreme than timeshifting back. And certainly much faster.
What is so extreme about going back to before the problem existed?
Both Timeshift and a kernel update/upgrade/downgrade require a reboot anyway so not that much or a time problem one way or another.
jsb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jsb »

gittiest personITW wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:52 pm
I would think that it is a lot less extreme than timeshifting back. And certainly much faster.
What is so extreme about going back to before the problem existed?
Both Timeshift and a kernel update/upgrade/downgrade require a reboot anyway so not that much or a time problem one way or another.
To me time shifting seems like a much more complicated process, with a greater chance for something to wrong. I have only implemented a time shift once, it took quite a bit of time to complete it.

When the issue is known to be a kernal, it seems a lot more straightforward and simpler to just do an advanced boot, etc. to go back to the prior one after having tried out a new one.

Note that this was a suggestion to someone who had complained about the hassle of time shifting.
momo608 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:48 am After the hassle of doing the time shift to get rid of the bad update along comes another today that's causing the exact same problem, W_T_F
botakias
Level 1
Level 1

Post by botakias »

Good evening,
After the last two updates the problem with the cd / dvd tray was not fixed. will the problem be fixed in the next Kernel version?
I do Mint
Level 2
Level 2

Post by I do Mint »

Hapgood wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:34 pm I'm running Mint 19.3 on a home-built system. When I rebooted after installing 5.4.0-84, one of my two optical drives opened and closed before the GUI loaded. After reading several of these forum threads, I reverted to 5.4.0-81, which solved the problem, and blacklisted -84.

I just updated to 5.4.0-86. It has the same problem as -84. It also has a very lengthy list of changes, which possibly suggests the update contains bug fixes and security enhancements that were important enough to justify an update before they could fix the optical drive problem. Alternatively, it suggests that the maintainers don't consider the optical drive problem a priority, meaning we'll either need to live with it indefinitely or revert to -81 and do without that lengthy list of changes in -86.

Can anyone offer some insight into whether the changes in -86 are worth the inconvenience of the drive tray opening and closing on each boot?
Same here, just like with 5.4.0-84 I deleted 5.4.0-86 and reverted to back 5.4.0-81.
Can't stand it that every time during start up the drive opens.
Too bad it isn't solved, waiting for the next kernel update or another solution then just revert back to 5.4.0-81.
Oh yes, I do Mint :)
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Seem to be having the continuing problem. The latest two kernel updates are causing the open/close tray. Kernel version 5.4.0-81 seems to be latest that is ok.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

5.4.0-87 is going to fix this:

I.e., more completely, should be fixed by 4.15.0-159-generic, 5.4.0-87-generic, 5.11.0-37-generic, 5.13.0-16-generic.
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Post by vimes666 »

rene wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:54 pm 5.4.0-87 is going to fix this:

I.e., more completely, should be fixed by 4.15.0-159-generic, 5.4.0-87-generic, 5.11.0-37-generic, 5.13.0-16-generic.
Priority high, It must have annoyed a lot of people :)
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

vimes666 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:57 pm Priority high, It must have annoyed a lot of people :)
And/or cats...
botakias
Level 1
Level 1

Re: cd/dvd tray opens and closes during boot after kernel update [To be fixed soon]

Post by botakias »

If there are many users who have the same problem the developers should solve it in the next version. I do not consider it a solution to go to older kernel versions because the newer ones solve other bugs
John_B
Level 2
Level 2

Re: cd/dvd tray opens and closes during boot after kernel update [To be fixed soon]

Post by John_B »

The following unsupported kernel functions correctly in all regards on the hardware in my signature:

Linux 5.4.0-88-lowlatency #99-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT Thu Sep 23 18:30:52 UTC 2021

UbuntuUpdates - PPA: Canonical Kernel Team
https://ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/canonical_kernel_team
LM 21 Cinnamon | Dell Latitude E4310 (A15) | Core i5 560m | Mobile Intel QS57 Express | 8 GB RAM | CT2000MX500SSD1 | ST2000LM003 HN-M201RAD in an S251SMU33EP | Intel AC 7260 | ECUSB3S11 (NEC / Renasis 720202) 34mm ExpressCard
momo608
Level 1
Level 1

Post by momo608 »

John_B wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:09 pm The following unsupported kernel functions correctly in all regards on the hardware in my signature:

Linux 5.4.0-88-lowlatency #99-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT Thu Sep 23 18:30:52 UTC 2021

UbuntuUpdates - PPA: Canonical Kernel Team
https://ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/canonical_kernel_team
You're with the team who created this problem?

That doesn't sound like you're going to change, "fix", anything, tell me I'm wrong.

Return to “Software & Applications”