Renaming file in list view doesn't allow Ctrl

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cday
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Renaming file in list view doesn't allow Ctrl

Post by cday »

JoeFootball wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:59 am
vimes666 wrote: There is a setting in the mouse preferences named "Show position of pointer when the control key is pressed".
If this is set to on, it will break other shortkeys containing a control key. It may be the cause of your problem.
Good catch! I wasn't able to replicate the behavior, but when I turned that setting on, there it was. :)
+1 very useful insight... :D

Although showing the pointer position is often useful, closing the rename window when, through force of habit, using Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C or Ctrl-X means that it is a no-brainer to deactivate it.

Could nemo(?) possibly be modified to detect that the display pointer position option is active, to enable the Ctrl key to be used when renaming in List view?
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Post by vimes666 »

"F2" then "Ctrl+C" to copy the highlighted name. Faster than fiddling with a combination of mouse and keyboard.
Even better would be the Nautilus team adding "copy filename" to the context menu.
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.
cday
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cday »

vimes666 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:24 am
"F2" then "Ctrl+C" to copy the highlighted name. Faster than fiddling with a combination of mouse and keyboard.
Even better would be the Nautilus team adding "copy filename" to the context menu.
My issue is that I often want to edit a filename, maybe cut part or replace part of it or copy it all, which may need Ctrl-A, Ctrl-X or Ctrl-V...
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Post by vimes666 »

Could nemo(?) possibly be modified to detect that the display pointer position option is active, to enable the Ctrl key to be used when renaming in List view?
It is a bug and it is not only Nemo but also Caja that shows this behaviour. Those are both a fork of Nautilus. So the fault probably originates there or Mint itself is doing something wrong in passing info to Nemo or Caja. I am not sure.
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.
cday
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cday »

vimes666 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:11 am
It is a bug and it is not only Nemo but also Caja that shows this behaviour. Those are both a fork of Nautilus. So the fault probably originates there or Mint itself is doing something wrong in passing info to Nemo or Caja. I am not sure.
Thanks, what would be the chance of someone experienced reporting it and it then being fixed?
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

vimes666 wrote: Those are both a fork of Nautilus.
I tried this in Nautilus (Files) on Ubuntu 20.04, and I could not replicate the behavior. That said, Ubuntu doesn't appear to offer a "show mouse position with Ctrl" setting, so I had to enable that via gnome-tweak-tool. Also, Nautilus has a separate pop-up for renaming, not an in-line method as Nemo does. Therefore, I can't say my findings are an apples to apples observation.

Edit: I just installed Nautilus on a LM 19.3 Cinnamon deployment. It demonstrates the same as with Ubuntu.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

cday wrote: ... what would be the chance of someone experienced reporting it and it then being fixed?
If I don't see something like it already reported, I will see if I can submit something. If it is the fault of Nemo, I wouldn't suspect this to be high on the priority list given that it's an edge case that's fairly resolvable.

Edit: It's already been reported.
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Post by vimes666 »

I tried this in Nautilus (Files) on Ubuntu 20.04, and I could not replicate the behavior. That said, Ubuntu doesn't appear to offer a "show mouse position with Ctrl" setting, so I had to enable that via gnome-tweak-tool. Also, Nautilus has a separate pop-up for renaming, not an in-line method as Nemo does. Therefore, I can't say my findings are an apples to apples observation.
Ok, I just fired up my Ubuntu 10.04 stick. This version still has the mouse-location option. It also came with nautilus 2.30.1 and it shows the exact same behaviour.
I bet nautilus changed the rename interface because of this problem. However Caja and Nemo were obviously forked before that happend.
Conclusion: it is really a Mint issue and it goes back a very long way.
Edit: It's already been reported.
Where?
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

vimes666 wrote: Where?
I closed the ticket tab already, but it's in here ...

https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo

... and it did note that it's when in List View only, and that the pointer location indicator is must be enabled for the behavior to occur.
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Post by vimes666 »

Yeah, found it https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues/2140
Unfortunately not assigned yet.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

vimes666 wrote: Unfortunately not assigned yet.
I'm sure that's not the only one. :)
cday
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cday »

vimes666 wrote: Unfortunately not assigned yet.
paulwardrip wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:59 am ...this happens to me all the damn time and it's infuriating.

I would be so grateful for a patch as well. I might think to take it on, but I'm not so experienced w/ c++ my jam is node.js.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

JoeFootball wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:59 am
vimes666 wrote: There is a setting in the mouse preferences named "Show position of pointer when the control key is pressed".
If this is set to on, it will break other shortkeys containing a control key. It may be the cause of your problem.
Good catch! I wasn't able to replicate the behavior, but when I turned that setting on, there it was. :)
color me " me too ",
turned that OFF immediately,

wallah! it works again.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Post by vimes666 »

I had a look at the Nemo source and I'm starting to doubt the problem is really in there. Even more, since I have this mouse-location switched on, I noticed the same faulty behaviour in the address bar of Palemoon while I tried to paste something behind the url. Maybe Firefox does the same but I cant test that.
For now I need some sleep and I'll try to dig some further tomorrow.
Joel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Joel »

Hello!

I see there's been some progress on this issue since the last time I checked this thread. I too found that the "show pointer on ctrl" was the cause of the problem. Someone mentioned that the problem may not lie in Nemo. Perhaps it lies in how Mint handles the "show pointer" action. Either way, it is scary that this problem hasn't been resolved for over a decade. If this ever occurred on Windows, there would be a patch ready within a week. Now, I know that Linux Mint is a community project and not the product of a multi-billion-dollar company, but seriously. Please just fix this. It can't be a big deal, and it seems to have been present for over a decade.

Return to “Software & Applications”