Older version of packages in newer Mint

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nzaman
Level 1
Level 1

Older version of packages in newer Mint

Post by nzaman »

Is it possible to use older versions of a package in parallel to newer ones in Mint?
I need to use libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0 for an older piece of software from Mint 17.3, but the current version in 20.2 is 0.10.16, so It is refusing to install.
Is there any way to get it working?
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
milon
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Older version of packages in newer Mint

Post by milon »

Which software? There may be other possible solutions too, FYI.

Anyway, I just searched online for "libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0" and that led to https://askubuntu.com/questions/1121122 ... untu-18-04 which in turn led to https://learnopencv.com/install-opencv- ... ntu-18-04/. Their color scheme is horrendous (at least on my system), but if you CTRL+A to highlight the text it becomes readable.

Let us know if that helps or not!
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

A lot of media programs use gstreamer, forcing the install will break the others. This is routine with old versions of software because there actually isn't a lot of backwards compatibility in Linux.

What'sd the program? Maybe there's a flatpak or appimage. Otherwise I'd be looking at alternative apps.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
nzaman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nzaman »

@Hoser Rob: It's Opera 12.16. I've mostly switched over to Vivaldi, but I have some tabs open with stories I'm following.
For now, I managed to get the portable version working on Wine, but it's a bit unstable and freezes every few hours. A permanent solution would be nice.

@Milon Thanks for the links. The problem is that the version of libgstreamer I need is outdated in Mint 20, and the system won't allow me to install the older version. Opera 12 has been out of support since 2014, so I can't just get an updated version from them either. I know, I know, the obvious answer is to get a newer browser, but I'm used to Opera 12, and other browsers just don't have the same level of convenience. Vivaldi is getting there, hamstrung by Chromium as it is; Firefox Gecko version could replicate the same functionality with addons, but they changed around the same time as Opera went Chromium and started chasing the Chinese market, and naturally, most of those addons don't work any more.
milon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by milon »

For something as lightweight as reading basic webpages (my interpretation of what you're saying), you could setup a virtual machine in Virtual Box or something similar, and install Linux Mint 17.3 on it - assuming you have an installer for it. There won't be any security updates, I expect, but if all you're doing is reading some webpages (not entering passwords or doing anything else sensitive), then that should be fine. Once Mint 17 is up and running, you'd need to install Opera and then you're all set. Not ideal, perhaps, but workable.

There's probably a better solution than this, but it's the only one I can think of right now.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

nzaman wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:35 am @Hoser Rob: It's Opera 12.16. I've mostly switched over to Vivaldi, but I have some tabs open with stories I'm following.
For now, I managed to get the portable version working on Wine, but it's a bit unstable and freezes every few hours. A permanent solution would be nice.
Firefox can handle multiple Open Tabs with ease, I do it all the time.
For probably the same reason you are doing, I like to follow a particular Article at length through a day, or maybe a thread in some offbeat forum that I found.

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
nzaman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nzaman »

AZgl1500 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:24 pm
Firefox can handle multiple Open Tabs with ease, I do it all the time.
For probably the same reason you are doing, I like to follow a particular Article at length through a day, or maybe a thread in some offbeat forum that I found.
Any browser nowadays can handle multiple tabs. The problem isn't multiple tabs. I like to keep my browsing segregated--one browser for anything important (banking, webmail, online purchasing); one for media (youtube, etc); one for social media; and one for general browsing (forums and the like). Till now, Opera was the last browser, primarily because of the gesture based browsing and other conveniences, and there is no other browser offering those at the moment. I have hopes for the Otter browser, but it seems to be more of a hobby project that's been trudging along since 2016 and isn't in a usable form yet.
milon wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:02 pm For something as lightweight as reading basic webpages (my interpretation of what you're saying), you could setup a virtual machine in Virtual Box or something similar, and install Linux Mint 17.3 on it - assuming you have an installer for it. There won't be any security updates, I expect, but if all you're doing is reading some webpages (not entering passwords or doing anything else sensitive), then that should be fine. Once Mint 17 is up and running, you'd need to install Opera and then you're all set. Not ideal, perhaps, but workable.

There's probably a better solution than this, but it's the only one I can think of right now.
Yeah, I thought of that too. I've been using VirtualBox for MS-Office, so It won't be too difficult to implement either. I think I'll try installing Opera 12.17 for Windows in Wine first, if I can find a clean installer.

Thanks for the assistance. Any other ideas welcome.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Buy the CrossOver package from CodeWeavers.

I did and glad of it, I have my licensed MS OFFICE 2003 installed with it.

CrossOver2.png
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:44 am Buy the CrossOver package from CodeWeavers.

CrossOver2.png
Doesn't Libre office work? You have Office 2019 now may be even latest versions.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

deepakdeshp wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:14 am
AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:44 am Buy the CrossOver package from CodeWeavers.

CrossOver2.png
Doesn't Libre office work? You have Office 2019 now may be even latest versions.
I gave up on LibreOffice because it refuses to work like MS Word does.
I can create Macros on the fly and assign a shortcut within seconds.

no way, can that be done with LO, and the Menus??
they constantly change and nothing is where it "should be" compared to what I have been using since 2003.
Why buy something new, when MS Office 2003 does everything that I want, and fast.

IMO, the cost of CrossOver is well deserved, because it simply works, without giving a lot of crap.

I have uninstalled LO, don't want it.
nzaman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nzaman »

deepakdeshp wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:14 am
LibreOffice works with LibreOffice. It can't render Word documents and PowerPoint slides--the text comes through, but formatting, drawings and autotext gets corrupted. If enough people used LibreOffice or the .odt format in general, it would be worth it, but >80% users use .doc(x), and even if the document edited in LO were saved as doc, it would still get corrupted when opened in MS-Office, which most people use. Basically, LO is fully compatible with Office 97 levels of formatting, and in a pinch, upto Office 2003. The level of automation in the last 10-15 years can't be handled. It can't even do mailing lists properly.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

I thought that LO was quite compatible with MS office.
There are many such articles.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

nzaman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nzaman »

It's a lot better than OpenOffice used to be, and I haven't tried the last two versions, but version 4.x used to mess up the formatting and fields as I described.

Just tried version 6.4 on some MSOffice files. It's pretty good. The margin and fields issues seem to be resolved, and I can work with the automated parts. Still not sure about fidelity when transferred to an actual MSO installation, but so far it seems to be worth exploring further.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Regards,
Deepak

deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Regards,
Deepak

nzaman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nzaman »

So, the Windows version 12.17 doesn't work very well under Wine--constant crashes and it doesn't restore tabs on restart. The portable version of Opera 12.17 is barely usable, it freezes and has to be restarted but the tabs get restored, so there's that. The freeze is probably not Wine's fault, as I recall it used to do the same on WinXP, due to a memory leak, which of course they couldn't be bothered to fix since they were plotting a shift to Chromium. The Linux version was actually the only really usable one, post Opera 11.

Return to “Software & Applications”