Mint Uma 20.2 Mate - Screenshot applet and Thunderbird

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Mint Uma 20.2 Mate - Screenshot applet and Thunderbird

Post by coffee412 »

Hello,
Over the last few days I took the plunge and totally moved up from 18.x to 20.2 . It was a daunting task because I have a lot on my computer. I use it for work and run several VMs, Raids and all kinds of stuff. So far Im impressed but I have some little matters to fix up.

1. What happened to the screenshot applet for the panel? Looking thru the "add applet" menu no longer shows it available. I loved it because it is simple and very effective. Is there a way to get that back or an alternative? Not interested in "Print Scrn" because a lot of times I do not need a full screen shot.

2. Thunderbird. Probably the best email client out there. However, The fonts /icons and general appearance just seems to be getting worse with every release. I am on ver. 78 and I hate the icons fonts and such. Gives me a headache every time I have to read my email :( .

I was looking thru things and noticed that the icons on the panel for battery/mic/updates/speaker look very similar to what I am seeing in Thunderbird. So, I was thinking its an overall theme issue but I am not finding a way to change any of them. If I dump Thunderbird what might anyone suggest?

3. KeepassXC - Wow. The fonts are terrible. They look itallic and hard to read also.

I would show screen shots but I do not have my applet :(

Otherwise, So far I like what I see. Uma looks and performs great. I like the Mate desktop because of its simplicity.

Not major issues as this was a full clean install.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Mint Uma 20.2 Mate - Screenshot applet and Thunderbird

Post by coffee412 »

Ok, Got part of it figured out. QT5 configuration in menu/preferences. This clears up KeepassXC. Now have Thunderbird to go.

Im trying out Deepin Screenshot. Guess I just have to find a replacement.
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
peterw19
Level 4
Level 4

Post by peterw19 »

Apologies if you've already been down this route, but I have a screenshot app on my toolbar (at the LHS). I can't remember exactly how I installed it (I'm new to Linux), but it appears in Software Manager as Gnome-screenshot, so I probably installed it from there.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

peterw19 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:26 am Apologies if you've already been down this route, but I have a screenshot app on my toolbar (at the LHS). I can't remember exactly how I installed it (I'm new to Linux), but it appears in Software Manager as Gnome-screenshot, so I probably installed it from there.
Thank you for your reply.
I did manage to find the screenshot app. I think this is actually my fault. I was thinking it was a panel applet when in fact its in menu/accessories. I feel stupid :(

Thunderbird is on my hit list now. I cannot believe that they have not included some type of way to change the main fonts. This is something that they should address right away. My thought is that the only reason Thunderbird is popular is because it really does a good job. However, The main font and size is terrible. The icons are kinda awful too. Im going to look into this a lot deeper today if I get time and see what I can do. Perhaps do a write up for others that feel like I do. I know on "Windows" the fonts seem to look fine.

The fonts in Thunderbird I think are not qt5. I have changed keepassXC fonts easily with the qt5 program in the menus. This didnt affect Thunderbird though. So, I have to do a deep dive into probably "About:config" in the settings and see what I can do. Worst case is I break something and have to reload. No big deal.

My last big deal is moving my home directory off of my main 500 gig ssd drive to a Raid1 pair of 2tb seagates I setup last night. Shouldnt be hard there. :)

Hey, Once again - Thanks for replying. :) Have a great day!
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Mint Uma 20.2 Mate - Screenshot applet and Thunderbird [SOLVED]

Post by coffee412 »

I am marking this solved. I think after some digging I have found a solution. I have to play with it a bit more but this might work.

1. Go into config editor (bottom of preferences window) and do a search for:

toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets

Change it to 'true'.

Create a directory inside your profile folder called 'chrome' and change to it.
Create a file called 'userChrome.css' ( An other post says file should be 'userContent.css' ).

Put the following in it and save:

Code: Select all

/*

* Do not remove the @namespace line -- it's required for correct functioning
*/

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"); /* set default namespace to XUL */

/*  Threads Pane font */
.tree-rows {

font-size: 48pt !important;
   font-family: Verdana !important;
   color: #000062 !important;

}
Restart thunderbird.

I will play around with it and see if things improve.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

I GOT IT. :)

Its works now. You can change a lot of stuff via css. However, I do not know a lot about css. Just enough to get into trouble I guess. It definitely works though.

I just have to research the 'code' to modify for certain things. However, This is a leap forward and the rest will come in time.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

So, Here is an excellent resource if you are really hateing Thunderbirds fonts and sizes in their menus and windows:

https://www.eriwen.com/css/tweaking-thu ... ds-chrome/

Iam still experimenting around but ramping up quickly here. :)
:D :D :D :D

Return to “Software & Applications”